Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complete Tradeskill Guide 5.0 (rev.10/2007)

template pattern is vendor bought. costs a gold and a few silver.

Alliance Artisan
    Proud owner of Artisan's Prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Whipcream View Post
    I'm lost on one thing then - if the templates require no quests, but need a template pattern to make, then where do you get the template pattern?

I was along the lines of thinking you had to quest for a book of template patterns, but I have not tried this yet. I think the more I research all of this the more confused I get.
    Templates need 1 dropped item (silk, animal pelt, or ore) in varying quantity based on the slot the template is for. Bracers need less material than tunics. Also, silk need 2 pieces to replace the "combine to 2 silks to make a swatch" step that used to exist in tailoring.

The coal for smithing and filament for tailoring are vendor sold. The type is different for each tier of templates.

The template pattern is vendor sold. The pattern is the same for all tiers of templates.

The chemical is vendor sold. The chemical is the same for all tiers of templates.

The vendor sold components are all from the same vendor. There are several locations you can get them, check the forums a bunch of other threads detail merchants. (PoK has both smithing and tailoring as a fallback) The coal and filaments are the only vendor sold item that is of any significant platinum cost and then it is only really at the higher tiers. (I think Tier 11 is 54pp each, Tier 13 is a little over 100pp each)

Tailoring uses a simple sewing needle while smithing uses a smithy hammer. These tools are returned on success or fail.
    Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
    Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

The same NPCs who sell the fuel and treatments also sell the templates.
    Roanne LeFaye
    Warrior Barbarian of the Tribunal
    Outsider Domination
    The Seventh Hammer
    2100 Club + 300 melee Research

Quote Originally Posted by Roanne View Post
    The same NPCs who sell the fuel and treatments also sell the templates.
    Hence the
    The vendor sold components are all from the same vendor.
    comment.

Visitor
    From the JC list, "96 - 98 Electrum Rose Necklace" seems to now be called "Electrum Star Amulet". although the link there is still valid.

Visitor
    I hope I'm not alone here, but, I'm confused as all heck as to what's required now to get my smithing up to 300.

The guide above says:

October 2007 Patch new drops skillup alternative (legwork credit to Amaljia)
    Trivial - Ore type - Coal type
    20 - 30 - Tin Ore - Crude coal
    40 - 50 - Iron - Natural
    66 - 75 - Silvril - Sulfurous
    90 - 100 - Thalium -Brown
    124 - 135 - Iridium -Nitrous
    158 - 170 - Fulginate -Dull Black
    196 - 210 - Rubicite - Brown Nitrous
    234 - 250 - Indium - Dark Brown
    272 - 290 - Rhenium - Black Nitrous
    310 - 330 - Tungsten - Lustrous Black
    348 - 370 - Cobalt - Toluene

October 2007 New drops Cultural Alternative (legwork credit to Amaljia)
    Armor = Template + Loam
    Simple Armor = Thalium Template + Alkaline Loam
    Ornate = Fulginate + Malleable
    Intricate = Rhenium + Bonded
    Elaborate = Cobalt + Soluble
    Blessed Symbols = Thalium Ore + Alkaline (+ pattern, appropriate coal and the water of whichever deity)
    Revered Symbols = Fulginate Ore + Malleable (same as above)
    Sacred Symbols = Rhenium Ore + Bonded (same as above)
    Eminent Symbols = Cobalt Ore + Soluble (same as above)
    And I have no idea what that means I'm supposed to be making, as a wood elf druid with 283 smithing and wanting to get to 300. I was making Mistletoe Cutting Sickles (thousands of them it seems) in my spare time, but when we ended raids early tonight I saw that they were lowered to 250 trivial, and came here to see what was up. I don't suppose that there's a preferred path that anyone's found? The stuff listed above is for . . . cultural armor? Coal and ore?

Ore is a new "global" drop on golem and constructs as well as a chance to drop from humanoids.

There are several levels of ore, for your case, Tungsten Ore trivials in the 310-330 range and Cobalt Ore trivials in the 350-380 range. These Ores are combined with several vendor sold components (see a couple posts up for what all those are) to make templates. Some templates are then capable of being used to make the cultural armor. Symbols for the cultural armor also use these drops. The armor combines themselves as well as the symbols, use the template as well as a rarer dropped item (Loam). Check some of the other threads in this section and in the smithing section and you will find some more detailed writeups.

Visitor
    Slight tweak on Jewelcraft:

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeer View Post
    Wolf's Eye Platinum Necklace trivials at 247, and Wolf's Eye Agate is slightly cheaper than Jade. So this section should be:

243 - 244 Platinum Amber Ring
    245 - 247 Wolf's Eye Platinum Necklace
    248 - 250 Jaded Platinum Ring

Visitor
    Just a small correction to JC

96 - 98 Electrum Rose Necklace

Should actually be Electrum Star Amulet
    It links to the correct item, just the name in the list is incorrect.

Thanks!
    Last edited by spe1491; 12-04-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    Arriella - 86 Human Paladin - Tunare
    Blacksmithing 300 - Mastery 3 - GM Trophy
    Tailoring 300 - Mastery 3
    Pottery 300 - Mastery 3
    Baking 200, Brewing 200, Fishing 200, Fletching 200
    On Alts:
    Alchemy 300 - Mastery 3 - GM Trophy
    Jewelry Making 300 - Mastery 3 - GM Trophy
    Research 300 - Mastery 3 - GM Trophy
    Blacksmithing 300 (Barbarian), Blacksmithing 300 (Froglok), Blacksmithing 300 (Vah Shir)

JC skillups

Just a note on the JC skillup path...the Gem Studded Chain is trivial at 250 not 300. I am currently doing the Velium Blue Diamond Bracelet to get my skill up to 300.

Visitor
    Two additional alternatives in Tailoring:
    Muramite Needle is 202 (1 Muramite Residue + 4 Bone Chips = Muramite Needle)
    Additionally, Hynid Hair Thread is 268 (1 Muramite Needle + 4 Hynid Hair Strand)
    Good recipes for people who hunt in any of the flagged GoD zones.

While I -have- used these for a few combines, they are far far rarer than the current "template" path - I certainly wouldn't consider them part of a skill-up path.
    Gaell Stormracer, Storm Warden of Tunare, United Kingdoms, Antonius Bayle

Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaell Stormracer View Post
    While I -have- used these for a few combines, they are far far rarer than the current "template" path - I certainly wouldn't consider them part of a skill-up path.
    Agreed. I was only able to gather a few of these myself while skilling up in tailoring. On that note, most of the guide has been updated with most of the suggestions from posts. Let me know if I missed anything. I eventually plan to sit down and figure out which recipes to include from the new expansion.
    Master Artisan + GM trophies for all
    Alts: 300 Poison making, 297 Tinkering
    Half Elf Bard of Xegony

Visitor

better alternatives to level up jewelcraft

trilion cut bloodstone - 174
    trilion cut topaz - 188

doesn't need any metals, just the gem, cheapest combines I have found so far

Hobbyist
    269 - 282 Rough Shadewood Compound Bow
    For fletching, you may want to change this to Shaped Shadewood Compound Bow. Same ingredients + a planing tool, but vendors buy these bows back for almost 10p more.

Contributor
    How about adding in the enchanted parchments and their paired clicky scrolls in for research. It is a far cheaper path than making the actual spells or the solutions, though it is quicker to make solutions if cash is not a problem. After 243, it is much more economical and faster to make the enchanted parchments and their scrolls than to make the spells.

Visitor

Level Req.

Quote Originally Posted by Voragath View Post
    How about adding in the enchanted parchments and their paired clicky scrolls in for research. It is a far cheaper path than making the actual spells or the solutions, though it is quicker to make solutions if cash is not a problem. After 243, it is much more economical and faster to make the enchanted parchments and their scrolls than to make the spells.
    It'a a cheap way to increase Research, thing is, it's Level Required.
    I mean, spells to summon are NO DROP, and you need to be 55+ to get to a decent level by doing them.
    If you have the level, this sure will be the best way.
    You have become better at Choosing Signatures! (298)

Visitor

Jewelcraft

I like the higher level cut gems for skillups. They may be drop only, but alot of them, particularly those that are just slot 11 (and not uber like taafenite or prestidigitase) can be bought cheaply. My buyer can usually get Morganite and Rubelite for 30pp each, other uncut gems are similar I'm sure, but my buyer can't set up a buy line for them for some reason. In the bazaar I pick up Goshenite, Jacinth, Morganite, and Combine Star (uncut all) for under 50pp for a quick shot at a skillup. The uncut jacinth sells for profit in baz, though not quickly even priced at a loss, the rest can be vendored, though I do not know for how much offhand.

uncut goshenite = halfmoon cut goshenite (triv 252)
    uncut jacinth = round cut jacinth (triv 287)
    uncut morganite = round cut morganite (triv 270)
    uncut combine star = trilion Combine Star (triv 276)

and then with AA and skill modifier can probably safely take prest, taaf, etc to over 300.

Goshenite just started dropping for me off lvl 53 mobs (extremely rarely).

It's easier for me to stomach these as a failure only costs 30-70pp as opposed to a failure with velium costing at least the 200+ pp for the bar plus potentially another 200pp loss if you're using diamond. It also doesn't seem to take as long to gather the uncut gems, as they are new and so people are saving them to see what they can get for em.

Visitor
    I just checked and was unable to get the vendor to buy the cut gems. So using that as a JC skillup is a guarunteed loss of whatever you pay for the gem (unless you can sell it to a player).

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by BernardoLG View Post
    It'a a cheap way to increase Research, thing is, it's Level Required.
    I mean, spells to summon are NO DROP, and you need to be 55+ to get to a decent level by doing them.
    If you have the level, this sure will be the best way.
    Yeah, that is true. If you aren't of appropriate level you'd have to buy the essences or have someone summon them for you; they aren't usually sold in bazaar. So, I agree: if you aren't of appropriate level, not a good path; but if you are appropriate level, an awesome path.

Visitor
    Nothing major, buy you have Velium blue diamond listed as all store bought, but BD's are drops and not store bought.

Visitor
    Thank you very much for this, it is incredibly helpfull

Visitor

Thanks

Would like to thank everyone that has helped make this site a excellent source for tradeskill info. Have not used it in a year truthfully. I'm a soldier in US Army and didn't have bandwidth to play EQ and had to go to WoW now will be back in about one week. have 4 tradeskill at 300 Baking, Brewing, Pottery, Jewelrycraft. since I've been away along time what would you suggest me to do next. research 200, tailoring 192, smithing 189, fishing 200.
    70 Mag EUR. Any guidance would really help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by lachsgummi View Post
    Would like to thank everyone that has helped make this site a excellent source for tradeskill info. Have not used it in a year truthfully. I'm a soldier in US Army and didn't have bandwidth to play EQ and had to go to WoW now will be back in about one week. have 4 tradeskill at 300 Baking, Brewing, Pottery, Jewelrycraft. since I've been away along time what would you suggest me to do next. research 200, tailoring 192, smithing 189, fishing 200.
    Whatever you think would be fun to do.

I think if you wanted the one to get the most benefit yourself out of would be tailoring. You will be able to make yourself some nice armor when you get to the upper end of the skill. Research is also a lot easier than it used to be to raise so that might be another option you could take. Fishing caps at 200 still so you are done with that. Also, make sure to read up on all the changes to JC before you look to help people out and try and make anything. The revamp made it very different from what you are probably used to.

Expert Trader
    Quote Originally Posted by lachsgummi View Post
    Smithing and Tailoring received some dramatic changes while you have been gone. Start farming global loots for both as you work on getting back into the swing of things. Tailoring can offer some nice upgrades once you reach the appropriate skill (and complete associated tasks). Both at least mirror the old cultural system.

Research underwent major changes as well and all/almost all of the old research combines are disabled. Read up in the Research forum to learn about the changes.

You might want to re-learn the Jewelry Crafting system too (again, read the forum for specifics). Almost all of the old combines are now gone as well.

Don't forget fletching.

Gorse