Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blarg. 90 combines at skill 192 and no skill ups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blarg. 90 combines at skill 192 and no skill ups.

Since Decembed of last year, I've done 90 combines at 192 and haven't received a single skill up.

Has anyone else noticed an especially high hurdle at 192?

All Tradeskills have this sort of "hell level" phenomenon.

Persistence is the only solution.

I had a long dry spell at 185. It took forever to get to to 186, then 187 and so on.

All you can do is keep going.

~ Lothay
    Lothay retired from EQ in 2003
    EQ Traders - Moderator - MySpace or LiveJournal

Comment

Re: Persistence

Originally posted by Lothay
      Persistence is the only solution.
      I upgraded my gear a bit to push my INT to 214 unbuffed, and 241 with VoQ. Previously, I was at about 218 w/buffs.

I did another 30 or so combines and finally got 193! Yay!

Then I did a bunch more combines and got a ton of skill ups in that one sesssion. I do think there's an artificial hurdle at 192, but maybe I was just very unlucky. In any case, I'm at 203 now.

Comment

Everyone seems to get stuck at least once somewhere between 175 and 200-ish. I think 186 was the magic evil number for me in jewelcraft for 100+ combines.

It was 203 on brewing for me.
        Zallarenya
        Coercer of the Underfoot
        Druzzil Ro Server

Comment

Originally posted by Zallarenya
          It was 203 on brewing for me.
          Arrg.. now I'm jinxed. I'll see if 203 is another such unlucky number next time I work on JC.

Comment

Stuck

Heh, it is 195 in tailoring for me right now. Over 100 combines and no skill up. /sigh

High Priestess Nihlia Er`Idine
            Fire and Fury on FV / My Stuff

Comment

You're in the hell levels - expect to do 100 combines per skill point from high 180s to low 200s. This slows down to 50ish combines from low 200s to low 230s when it then becomes rather simple again, although I've seen posts indicating that the last 2 or 3 points to 250 are the ultimate hell levels.
              Cigarskunk!
              No more EQ for me till they fix the crash bug.

Comment

Hell level indeed!
                223 to 224 I went 128 combines without a skill up.
                Keep at it, it does get better.

Comment

I've been doing JC for a quite some time (about a month after EQ went live). From what I can tell, it takes about an average of 40 combines to make a skill point. The keyword here is average though. What I have found in myself is that I thought that after I got to 190+ it was more difficult, but after doing JC for about the third time I found it was my perception that made it that way. The first I started working with the skill, it was inexpensive and I didn't pay much attention to how many combines it would take to get a skill up, but when I started gettting up to where the combines were getting to what I considered costly, I started counting the number of combines it took to get an increase. I said to myself, self we are getting screwed when we get high up in skill, Verant is out to get me. But the second time I did JC, I started counting the combines from the beginning and it was about the same difficulty to get from 50 to 200 in reality, it just hurt a whole lot more from 190 to 200. The third time I did JC my findings were about the same up to 200, beyond 200, it seems to be somewhat more difficult but not significantly so. Now I didn't break out a calculator or anything like that. So your mileage may vary.

Comment

Mine is 191 in Smithing.....300+ combines and no skill up....max wis too =/ Im doing my final JC push tomorrow....wish me luck, I clearly need it.
                    Amenarra
                    62 High Priest

Smithing 194
                    Brewing 182
                    Jewelcraft 250 +Trophy
                    Tinkering 149
                    Fletching 203
                    Tailoring 118
                    Baking 193
                    Pottery 189

Comment

Re: Blarg. 90 combines at skill 192 and no skill ups.

Originally posted by yeroca
                      Since Decembed of last year, I've done 90 combines at 192 and haven't received a single skill up.

Has anyone else noticed an especially high hurdle at 192?
                      Get used to it.. it only gets worse. Look at it like this. When a melee tries and skill up on a weapon type.. at 192-252 you know how many attacks they have to do before a skill up happends? Same goes for tradeskills for the most part... as you get higher it takes more and more combines to go up 1 point.

1-190 you dont lose much money.. its at 195-250 when you lose 15kpp.

Magelo Profile

[ 252 Jewlery ] - [ 200 Brewing ] - [ 200 Fletching ] - [ ...all others 150+ ]

Comment

It took me over 160 combines to get that 200th point in JC doing the Gold Fire Opal combines. At over 100pp per combine and averaging one failure in 20 attempts.... it was painfully expensive.

Kaidian Blade
                        Storm Warden of Death Misdealt
                        Soldier, Tradesman, Knightly Gentleman
                        ~Magelo Profile~~My Alts~~My Skills~
                        "Tradeskillers do it more often!"

Comment

It's especially important to get your skillup stat up as high as possible -- JC is certainly one of those skills where any reasonable money you spend on getting that stat higher will be easily repaid in fewer combines (and thus fewer failures, and less out-of-pocket cost). I personally think there's even a significant difference between the low-240's (where the original poster said he now is buffed) and 255.

My worst "hell level" was 191 (about 250 combines), which was what spurred me to go buy a "stat suit". Had a much easier time after that (though I still had a few 100+ combine levels, there wasn't anything near 250 combines).
                          Velurian
                          70 Enchanter, E'ci

Comment

I agree. That run of bad luck though was with 255 WIS, 124 INT, KEI and a Geerlok.

Sometimes the RNG just really, REALLY bites.

Kaidian Blade
                            Storm Warden of Death Misdealt
                            Soldier, Tradesman, Knightly Gentleman
                            ~Magelo Profile~~My Alts~~My Skills~
                            "Tradeskillers do it more often!"

Comment

<P ALIGN=justify>Aye.. the *RNG* can be very painful in Jewelcraft. Currently, my husband's enchanter has been stuck (more than not) in the 189 to 196 range with dozens (upon dozens..upon dozens, more) in combines-for-Zero skill-ups. Hang in there! is about all I can say.. even if that means hangin' on by the skin of your teeth. </P>
                              http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=565382Visit Magelo Profile

Comment

Working...
                              X