Poison Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poison Suggestions

In addendium to my post here: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/po...topic_id=49517 (on page 11)

Apply Poison

The early version of poison had apply poison be a crucial part. You could not apply a poison unless you had the necessary skill to do so. Later on they moved this to level restriction. I feel this was a poor choice, as it basically makes on of our skills useless. Another interesting fact is that it didn't take into account the poison itself. You either had the skill or you didn't. You could effectively raise your skill to max by just reapplying the cheapest poison in the game.

My fix
    Each poison should have an apply trivial, similiar to mobs or tradeskills. For simplicity sake, this can be equal to the difficulty of making the poison, so a trivial 100 poison has a trivial 100 to apply. This trivial does not have to be visible in game so the same variable can even be referenced.

Apply poison skill ups work like tradeskills. You can attempt to apply any poison, but if its too difficult, you will fail more often, and if you try something too simple, you won't get skillups. This will give meaning to our skill again and also make sense from RP and game balance perspectives.

Make Poison

See my post on the Sony boards regarding the problems we have experienced here. No need to rehash them.

General Fixes
    1) All poisons should be stackable. They should be stackable (up to 20 imo) and tradeable in all but the rarest cases (only 3 come to mind). This will also eliminate the need for 5 and 10 dose combinations (however, see my comments on the Dark Assassin below), which will cut down on recipes significantly (1/3 of that implementation).

2) Poison recipes should be evolving. This was done with our very first book on poisons, and hasn't been done since. Alchemy is done this way, and makes for a very logical progression on recipes.

3) There needs to be a way to rogues to make their own non-vender-sold vials (just like the good ol' days) without hiring an enchanter or gnome to do it for them (see comments on Dark Assassin below).

4) The apply time on poisons needs to be reset to 10 seconds, so that focus effects (such as Poison Mastery) can be applied to it, and have additional meaning. They aren't intended for use during combat, but rather setting up beforehand.

Effects
    1) It is important to keep all of our current functionality intact. This includes both first strike and proc effects. The exact effects can be tweaked as needed, but the general spirit of what is there should be kept.

2) We were told that a first strike poison can never be made a stackable potion. I disagree, as there are damage shields that work exactly that way. (First hit = lot of damage, then gone). Our first strike poisons should work in a similiar manner.

3) First strike poisons should stack with proc poisons but not with each other. Proc poisons should stack with first strike poisons but not with each other. Effectively, you can have one of each, but not two of the same.

4) Instead of having poisons effectively be copies of each other, variants should be introduced. Slightly more damage, but no resist modifier vs. less damage but a resist modifier of -50.

5) Before adding any new lines, the focus should be on fixing what is there. The system is broken. Recipes can be added later.

List of Current Effects
    1) DD
    2) DoT
    3) DD, Stun 0.0
    4) Snare
    5) Paralyze (90% Snare)
    6) Anti-Undead DD
    7) Anti-Animal DD
    8) Short Duration Lifetap
    9) Anti-Summoned DD
    10) Lower Hate
    11) Statistical Debuffs (Resists, Stats, Etc.)
    12) Combinations of Above

Dark Assassin

The "quest" involving the Dark Assassin consists of three parts. Master Sketch, Grandmaster Assassin's Seal (which makes Corpse Bottles), and Black Mortar & Pestle (10 slot). Lack of it actually being a quest was extremely disappointing. Perhaps we can fix that.

1) Black Mortar & Pestle is easiest. Add recipes that require more then 8 slots.

2) Master Sketch can be the key ingredient needed to make "Advanced Poison Vials". Ditch the need for magic. We are rogues, not finger wagglers. The tinkering method makes no sense what so ever. Axe it entirely.

3) Corpse Bottles (summoned from the Seal). The summoned bottle effect should be kept as a clicky. There can be many uses for that, which gives the ability to make specific types of poisons. These would be the poisons that are notrade. Also, it could give the possiblity of an endless vial, or some other effect (see AA & Perks Suggestions below). Open it up to something more then a single quest or making multiple dose poisons.

4) Grandmaster Assassin's Seal is currently only used for the clicky effect, despite having some stats on it. To retain additional use for it, perhaps a regeant conversation effect that applies to poisons should be added. Ideally, allowing this to work for all regeant conversation items would be nice. The Seal should be very high end, since it is rogue only, and restricted in use, and requires a lot of work to get.

5) By completing the quest (obtaining all the symbols of a grandmaster), the Dark assassin should respond to hails at this point, possibly giving you a quest of some sort. This could be linked to obtaining new AAs or the secret ingredient for the tradeskilled endless vial (see below).

AA & Perk Ideas
    Currently we have poison mastery which has changed significantly from its original implementation not by changing the AA, but rather what is affected by it. It is supposed to cut down apply time (which it does on the older poisons), and prevent failure to apply (which only applies to the older poisons - to the best of my knowledge).

1) Poison Mastery. This would continue to work like the other tradeskill mastery skills. However, instead of an automatic succeed on apply, it should give the same bonus to apply. The reduced apply time should apply to all poisons made, not just the older ones.

2) Poison Conservation. Gives increased chance per rank of saving dose of poison you apply. Works like regeant conservation.

3) Endless Vial. Basically, the ultimate conservation. Rangers have endless quiver. This is basically the same thing.

4) Tradeskilled Endless Vials. A person combines 10 doses in a Corpse Bottle to create a poison clicky of that type. This will limit the rogue-specific money sink if they dedicate their time to tracking down rare ingredients. Perhaps require a quested vial, magical component, etc. to round out the recipe (which would then need less then 10 doses). This should definitely be notrade.

5) Allow regeant conservation, extended duration to work with poisons.
    Last edited by Turlo Lomon; 08-22-2007, 11:29 PM.
    Turlo Lomon
    Deceiver of Drinal
    "Ah, but you HAVE heard of me."

Additional Thoughts

I can't believe I forgot to mention this. One big thing with poisons is the lack of viability as a tradeskill.

Apply Poison to Others
    Possible AA. Possible innate skill. It should be based on current Apply Poison skill minus 50 or more. Each rank would lower the penalty somewhat.

The problem with this is the extremely short duration of poisons. Something that lasts longer then 10 minutes would definitely be needed.
    Turlo Lomon
    Deceiver of Drinal
    "Ah, but you HAVE heard of me."

Comment

Working...
    X