Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Long) What is the best way to post corrections/suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Long) What is the best way to post corrections/suggestions?

What is the easiest for the board maintainers to use?

Let's say for example that I happened to notice that The Rules post contained the following line [code:1]<b>Since the above seems to be unclear to some folks, personal attacks can include name-calling, death threats, badmouthing other posters, etc. WATCH YOU MANNERS! IF YOU WANT TO BE THAT RUDE, DO IT ELSEWHERE. It does not belong on these message boards, EVEN in Primal Scream.</b>[/code:1]
    This is a small example with HTML codes that have snuck into the post, other examples would include broken lists, etc.

When posting the 'fix' we could do it in words:

Hey there are some HTML codes in The Rules post.

We could do it in BBCode and display it in place:

The above sentence should be Since the above seems to be unclear to some folks, personal attacks can include name-calling, death threats, badmouthing other posters, etc. WATCH YOU MANNERS! IF YOU WANT TO BE THAT RUDE, DO IT ELSEWHERE. It does not belong on these message boards, EVEN in Primal Scream.

We could do it in BBCode and display it as code:

The above sentence should be [code:1][b]Since the above seems to be unclear to some folks, personal attacks can include name-calling, death threats, badmouthing other posters, etc. WATCH YOU MANNERS! IF YOU WANT TO BE THAT RUDE, DO IT ELSEWHERE. It does not belong on these message boards, EVEN in Primal Scream.[/b][/code:1]

We could also use HTML for either of the above methods. We could also just fix the section, or post a fix for the entire post so that it could just be cut and pasted... There are many different options. I'd like to be as helpful as possible, so letting me (us) know the best way to help you would be cool.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that having the BBCode directly in the post might be the easiest; just select the code, copy, click the link to the post, click edit, then paste.

We could also post both the code and the display of the code so you could see what you are getting.

For example:

"The Rules" (updated) - read before posting could be fixed with this BBCode[code:1]First, the short version of the rules for those who are impatient, then a longer explanation .... [list=1]
    [*]Keep it clean and flame-free
    [*]Don't cross-post
    [*]Tradeskill item sales/trades go in the Marketplace. Account sales get banned.
    [*]Share your info or shush
    [*]Ads/spam are not allowed
    [*]Sig tests are unwelcome
    [*]Personal attacks are beyond unwelcome
    [*]Don't tease, annoy or bother the DenMother ... she's not only a redhead, but also the owner of the site
    [*]Follow specific forum rules. Do not give the moderators grief for enforcing those rules or the DenMother [i][b]will[/b][/i] get involved.
    [/list]
    EQ Traders Corner is a thriving community of tradesfolk that share a LOT of information and moral support.

When we were off in a quieter portion of cyberspace, not a lot of "rules" were needed. Folks were pretty good about self-policing the boards, and the "snerts" usually got bored quickly and moved on to greener pastures.

These days, however,tradeskills, and this website, are a lot more high-profile in EQ. A lot more traffic wanders through this site, and many don't know what we're all about, or what is and is not considered appropriate. [list=1]
    [*]Keep it clean and flame-free. While this site is the "child" of one frazzled DenMother, remember that gathered on these boards is a very active community of tradesfolk. Many love to share their knowledge with others ... but they, and I, have no tolerance for rude children ... regardless of their physical age. If you want to flame and call folks names, take it elsewhere. Do NOT make personal attacks on others. If you can't play nice, you'll find yourself not only spanked like an unmannered child, but likely banned from posting. This includes your sig and personal photos, so if you have something in them that's questionable, then click [i][b]off[/b][/i] the option to include your sig and personal photo before you post here. [b]Since the above seems to be unclear to some folks, personal attacks can include name-calling, death threats, badmouthing other posters, etc. WATCH YOU MANNERS! IF YOU WANT TO BE THAT RUDE, DO IT ELSEWHERE. It does not belong on these message boards, EVEN in Primal Scream.[/b]
    [*]Spam and cross posts are unwelcome. If you have something to say that touches on multiple tradeskills, post it to the General Tradeskills Questions board. Do NOT post the same message in multiple forums.
    [*]For what I truly wish was the last time, but I know won't be (due to the folks that REFUSE to read when on a text-based medium) ... NO buying/selling except in the Marketplace forums!! NO buying/selling of anything OTHER than tradeskill items even in the Marketplace. Period. There are PLENTY of spots to buy and sell your phat lewt ... this is not one of them. And NO buying/selling of items for real-world cash.
    [*]These message boards are all about pooling information regarding tradeskills. (No, this does not mean that everyone and their cousin has a right to harass me hourly for my current skill in x, y, z. What it DOES mean is that everyone has a right to knowledge of recipes, trade supply locations, etc.) If you walk in here going "I know the secret to such-and-such and I'm not telling", you WILL get slapped down. It is counter-productive to what this community is all about. 99% of the time when someone posts with that attitude, they've been proven to be full of hot air and lies anyway. If you think you've got some new tradeskill item figured out other than the last step, post! Someone else might have the last bit of information/knowledge needed to solve the mystery. Don't sit on the information so you can be the first to brag about it. Don't come in here and taunt other folks about your "secret knowledge". Far from giving you the applause and attention you THINK you deserve, we're likely to give you a good reaming out. Share your toys when you're in the sandbox, or your sandbox rights will be removed. [b]The ONE exception to this rule is Test server recipes. If something is [i]only[/i] on Test, not on Live, it follows different rules.[/b]
    [*]"Ads" aren't welcome here. If you've got a [i][b]tradeskill[/b][/i] site to promote that you want folks to look at, that's fine. I don't mind well-mannered folks coming in and showing off their hard work (but make only ONE post about it). But, if you come in here trying to broadcast your cheat site, your site to sell/trade accounts and phat lewt, and other such scams and spam, it'll be deleted and you will be banned from posting. If you don't know what is and is not appropriate, ask. However, it's likely that 99% of the scammers and spammers won't read this post anyway before they come in and spew trash all over.
    [*]While I know folks are eager to show off new signatures and such, "test" posts are not allowed. If you want to test your sig, use the Preview option provided by EZBoard and do NOT post it to the boards. I've started deleting such posts and banning the folks who make them.
    [*]This site is "owned" by a single person. As the person in question, I can and will set down rules as I see fit. When you invest as much time and energy into a site as I have, you, too, can make the rules. I am a redhead ... argue with me at your peril. (Yes, this may sound a bit gestapo-like, but when multiple folks try to "instruct" me on what THEY think this site is "supposed" to be about, I do get a tad ... touchy)
    [*]The volunteer moderators have worked VERY hard, with specific instruction from the DenMother, to try to make order from chaos due to the May 8 patch. The message boards are significantly more active than they used to be, and over 1000 new users registered on the boards in the week following that patch. We understand that folks want their information and want it NOW, but every time you ignore a "data only" thread, or try to derail a topic that a moderator has as a sticky topic with specific posting instructions, you only delay the flow of information from the message boards onto the main site. We have the active moderation for a reason. We have the sticky topics for a reason. While they may seem "silly" to you, there are good reasons for what we do, given that the priority now is to make sure that new recipes, new trivials, etc. are not lost in the HUGE volume of conversation going on. Respect the moderators, respect their rules -- rules that the DenMother gave them. Believe it or not, we don't like having to make such rules. We don't like having to police the forums around the clock - we have too many other demands on our time. I'd FAR rather be actually working on updating the website right now, or {gasp} playing, rather than having to add yet another rule to this thread because I've just had to delete another dozen posts from folks who've decided they MUST be heard, at the expense of derailing the dataflow onto the site.
    [/list]~~
    Unfortunately, the ones who most need to read this information are likely the ones who won't read it, and will get banned for trying to sell their accounts here, etc., but at least we tried to warn 'em ...

[b][i]Niami DenMother, Voidrunners[/i][/b]
    [i]High Priestess of the Bristlebane Tickle Res Technique
    (Tunare Server)
    Webmistress for www.eqtraders.com
    Edited by: Niami DenMother at: 6/5/02 10:03:33 pm[/i] [/code:1]

so that is could look like this:
    First, the short version of the rules for those who are impatient, then a longer explanation ....[list=1][*]Keep it clean and flame-free [*]Don't cross-post [*]Tradeskill item sales/trades go in the Marketplace. Account sales get banned. [*]Share your info or shush [*]Ads/spam are not allowed [*]Sig tests are unwelcome [*]Personal attacks are beyond unwelcome [*]Don't tease, annoy or bother the DenMother ... she's not only a redhead, but also the owner of the site [*]Follow specific forum rules. Do not give the moderators grief for enforcing those rules or the DenMother will get involved. [/list]
    EQ Traders Corner is a thriving community of tradesfolk that share a LOT of information and moral support.

When we were off in a quieter portion of cyberspace, not a lot of "rules" were needed. Folks were pretty good about self-policing the boards, and the "snerts" usually got bored quickly and moved on to greener pastures.

These days, however,tradeskills, and this website, are a lot more high-profile in EQ. A lot more traffic wanders through this site, and many don't know what we're all about, or what is and is not considered appropriate.[list=1][*]Keep it clean and flame-free. While this site is the "child" of one frazzled DenMother, remember that gathered on these boards is a very active community of tradesfolk. Many love to share their knowledge with others ... but they, and I, have no tolerance for rude children ... regardless of their physical age. If you want to flame and call folks names, take it elsewhere. Do NOT make personal attacks on others. If you can't play nice, you'll find yourself not only spanked like an unmannered child, but likely banned from posting. This includes your sig and personal photos, so if you have something in them that's questionable, then click off the option to include your sig and personal photo before you post here. Since the above seems to be unclear to some folks, personal attacks can include name-calling, death threats, badmouthing other posters, etc. WATCH YOU MANNERS! IF YOU WANT TO BE THAT RUDE, DO IT ELSEWHERE. It does not belong on these message boards, EVEN in Primal Scream. [*]Spam and cross posts are unwelcome. If you have something to say that touches on multiple tradeskills, post it to the General Tradeskills Questions board. Do NOT post the same message in multiple forums. [*]For what I truly wish was the last time, but I know won't be (due to the folks that REFUSE to read when on a text-based medium) ... NO buying/selling except in the Marketplace forums!! NO buying/selling of anything OTHER than tradeskill items even in the Marketplace. Period. There are PLENTY of spots to buy and sell your phat lewt ... this is not one of them. And NO buying/selling of items for real-world cash. [*]These message boards are all about pooling information regarding tradeskills. (No, this does not mean that everyone and their cousin has a right to harass me hourly for my current skill in x, y, z. What it DOES mean is that everyone has a right to knowledge of recipes, trade supply locations, etc.) If you walk in here going "I know the secret to such-and-such and I'm not telling", you WILL get slapped down. It is counter-productive to what this community is all about. 99% of the time when someone posts with that attitude, they've been proven to be full of hot air and lies anyway. If you think you've got some new tradeskill item figured out other than the last step, post! Someone else might have the last bit of information/knowledge needed to solve the mystery. Don't sit on the information so you can be the first to brag about it. Don't come in here and taunt other folks about your "secret knowledge". Far from giving you the applause and attention you THINK you deserve, we're likely to give you a good reaming out. Share your toys when you're in the sandbox, or your sandbox rights will be removed. The ONE exception to this rule is Test server recipes. If something is only on Test, not on Live, it follows different rules. [*]"Ads" aren't welcome here. If you've got a tradeskill site to promote that you want folks to look at, that's fine. I don't mind well-mannered folks coming in and showing off their hard work (but make only ONE post about it). But, if you come in here trying to broadcast your cheat site, your site to sell/trade accounts and phat lewt, and other such scams and spam, it'll be deleted and you will be banned from posting. If you don't know what is and is not appropriate, ask. However, it's likely that 99% of the scammers and spammers won't read this post anyway before they come in and spew trash all over. [*]While I know folks are eager to show off new signatures and such, "test" posts are not allowed. If you want to test your sig, use the Preview option provided by EZBoard and do NOT post it to the boards. I've started deleting such posts and banning the folks who make them. [*]This site is "owned" by a single person. As the person in question, I can and will set down rules as I see fit. When you invest as much time and energy into a site as I have, you, too, can make the rules. I am a redhead ... argue with me at your peril. (Yes, this may sound a bit gestapo-like, but when multiple folks try to "instruct" me on what THEY think this site is "supposed" to be about, I do get a tad ... touchy) [*]The volunteer moderators have worked VERY hard, with specific instruction from the DenMother, to try to make order from chaos due to the May 8 patch. The message boards are significantly more active than they used to be, and over 1000 new users registered on the boards in the week following that patch. We understand that folks want their information and want it NOW, but every time you ignore a "data only" thread, or try to derail a topic that a moderator has as a sticky topic with specific posting instructions, you only delay the flow of information from the message boards onto the main site. We have the active moderation for a reason. We have the sticky topics for a reason. While they may seem "silly" to you, there are good reasons for what we do, given that the priority now is to make sure that new recipes, new trivials, etc. are not lost in the HUGE volume of conversation going on. Respect the moderators, respect their rules -- rules that the DenMother gave them. Believe it or not, we don't like having to make such rules. We don't like having to police the forums around the clock - we have too many other demands on our time. I'd FAR rather be actually working on updating the website right now, or {gasp} playing, rather than having to add yet another rule to this thread because I've just had to delete another dozen posts from folks who've decided they MUST be heard, at the expense of derailing the dataflow onto the site. [/list]~~
    Unfortunately, the ones who most need to read this information are likely the ones who won't read it, and will get banned for trying to sell their accounts here, etc., but at least we tried to warn 'em ...

Niami DenMother, Voidrunners
    High Priestess of the Bristlebane Tickle Res Technique
    (Tunare Server)
    Webmistress for www.eqtraders.com
    Edited by: Niami DenMother at: 6/5/02 10:03:33 pm

Given the above choices, which would be the best? Would you like the fix rendered in place first, then the code? Stick to the whole post, or just sections of the post? Or maybe just "Go away and don't post these long questions". :?
    Master of every trade skill and all 25 languages Craftah of Luclin
    Enchanter of 65 Seasons
    Master of every tradeskill and all 25 languages

Given how many things need fixing around here due to time constraints and a bit too much hurrying when moving things over, I *like* seeing folks point out problems.

Normally, just pointing out that there's stray code that didn't convert well is enough of a nudge for me to go in and put in the right codes, etc., but I'm still getting used to being able to use BOTH BBCodes and HTML in the same thread. Up to you if you want to spend the time to re-do the entire post with the proper codes inserted, or just provide a gentle nudge and a "psst, try a[list] for those pesky lists you moved over". Giving me something ready to cut and paste definitely saves me time, but it's your call if you want to go to that level of effort.

Meanwhile, I've been attempting to eat lunch while processing posts for the last couple hours, so I'm going to post this response, hide in a corner, eat, and THEN come back and tackle that post.

Comment

Enjoy your lunch!

I'm sitting here at work waiting for some code to run so I've got some time to kill.

Heh. As I'm making this post my code completed, so I might not be able to post more fixes right away, but I did take a quick look at the visitor's corner and noticed a few things...

I'll post the fixes later. Nice to know that the help is appreciated.
      Master of every trade skill and all 25 languages Craftah of Luclin
      Enchanter of 65 Seasons
      Master of every tradeskill and all 25 languages

Comment

Working...
      X