No announcement yet.

Question on the advanced calculator...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the advanced calculator...

I found something that may be a bug:

When using the advanced calculator, I see that as the primary stat increases, the number of combines expected to skillup decreases. This makes perfect sense. However, with smithing, this decrease in expected combines stops at a primary stat of 255. In other words, the adv calc will show the same number of expected combines for smithing with primary stat of 255 or 365 (for example). With the other skills, the stat of 365 will show fewer expected combines.

As a double check, I used the basic calculator with smithing, and with a given skill and trivial, I can see higher chances of skillups for higher stats, and lower chances of skillups for lower stats, which is expected.

So it appears the basic calculator handles stats above 255 for smithing, but the advanced calculator does not.

Thanks,

Tat
    Tatanka WolfDancer, 105 Druid
    -- 300x7 (2100 club), 7 maxed trophies | 200 Fishing
    Snookims Whinzlow, 105 Enchanter
    -- 300 Research
    Knekt Thedots, 60 Shaman
    -- 300 Alchemy, maxed trophy
    Gneehigh Gnasty, 60 Rogue
    -- 300 Poisoncrafting, maxed trophy

Inisfree, Tunare

I'll poke at this now. I may have set smithing to the wrong difficulty by mistake.
    Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
    Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
    Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
    Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Talk about diving into the rabbit hole ...

I think I found the bug, if bug it is ... basically it's a question of whether the pass 1 chance is capped or not. The basic calculator caps the pass 1 chance, the advanced one doesn't. I'm researching it now to see what I can find.
      Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!

Comment

It should be capped at 100%.

Comment

What I meant is, the two calculators cap the pass 1 results at different points in the calculation, and I'm not sure which is correct. The main calculator caps the chance to skill up on a success or fail individually; the advanced one combines them then caps that. I'm trying to figure out which is correct, though it's an arcane enough point that I doubt it ever came up in the Fan Faire discussions (my primary source for this).

Comment

I'm starting to understand why Tanker hated my questions at the Fan Faire. =) It took a disturbing amount of work to code what should have been a simple change.

I've made the advanced calculator match the basic one. Since the basic one was written by Ngreth, and I'm gonna assume he knows more about the formulas than I do, I'll defer to his judgment on where the caps should be.

Comment

Sorry to open a Pandora's box for you, but thanks for the quick response!

Tat
              Tatanka WolfDancer, 105 Druid
              -- 300x7 (2100 club), 7 maxed trophies | 200 Fishing
              Snookims Whinzlow, 105 Enchanter
              -- 300 Research
              Knekt Thedots, 60 Shaman
              -- 300 Alchemy, maxed trophy
              Gneehigh Gnasty, 60 Rogue
              -- 300 Poisoncrafting, maxed trophy

Inisfree, Tunare

Comment

Nothing to be sorry about at all! I'm actually happy that folks are using the calculator enough to notice a problem -- I wasn't sure people knew about it at all. =)

Comment

at one point I handed Tanker the code from the basic and he said it looked correct... so it should be correct on where it caps Though I do not think he compared it to the code directly, just compared it to his memory of the code (though it should have been reasonably fresh at the time)
                  Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
                  Grandmaster Smith 250
                  Master Tailor 200
                  Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

Working...
                  X