Min Skill level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min Skill level

OK, putting aside the loss recipes for easy/relatively easy skilling up aspects, do you find having min skill levels on items to be a boon or a bain?

For cross tradeskill items which are needed to make something, I'd definately say they were a bain - forcing smiths to get a 200+ brewing just to do thier PoP tempers is kinda bogus - they're forcing a time sink of getting all of those AA points so that one can multi GM tradeskills (as if tradeskills weren't the ultimate time sink in the game already).

However, for protecting markets, I think it's great - with min skill levels on items which actually could have a market, this cuts down a bit on the folks who are just brute forcing the success on the cheaper to make items and hoping that high prices make up for thier multiple failures.

For example, imagine if LoY gives us another PotC type quest/tradeskill item combo - think of how much longer the market is going to last for the cheaper parts (such as the baked parts from the PotC quest) if folks couldn't simply pop together a toon real quick and take advantage of that 1 in 20 success rate?

If, say, a 221 min skill level is put on the different components, then only the real GMs will be able to make them - the folks who are under 200 or only 200 even won't be able to even try the combine even with the best geerlok items.

Once again, let's leave the loss of recipes for skilling up out of the equation - I just want to look at the issue from a sales perspective - ie/will it help or hurt sales in the long run?
    Cigarskunk!
    No more EQ for me till they fix the crash bug.

Won't impact. It's 'easy enough' to get someone to an appropriate skill to make a new recipe if the result is good enough. If it's good enough, minimum skill won't stop market flooding. If it's not good enough, minimum skill won't really matter.

Comment

It's 'easy enough' to get someone to an appropriate skill to make a new recipe if the result is good enough.
      I don't know - think about all of those tradeskills with glass ceilings or with real slow down areas - what if Erudite cultural smithing was suddenly released tomarrow and it featured some really nice armor that was wearable by casting classes of all races - how fast and cheap do you think someone could get a smith going to take advantage of that?

What about ogre cultural tailoring, gnomish cooking, troll fletching, wood elf fishing?

Cost, difficulty of skill ups or need to farm materials would definately slow down everyone but the big guilds who got together to PL up a character so that they could get the gear for themselves - there's no garantee that said guild would even sell to folks outside of themselves, especially if the items were perceived to give a significant advantage.
      Cigarskunk!
      No more EQ for me till they fix the crash bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarskunk
        It's 'easy enough' to get someone to an appropriate skill to make a new recipe if the result is good enough.
        I don't know - think about all of those tradeskills with glass ceilings or with real slow down areas - what if Erudite cultural smithing was suddenly released tomarrow and it featured some really nice armor that was wearable by casting classes of all races - how fast and cheap do you think someone could get a smith going to take advantage of that?
        Fast enough, and for some people, cheap doesn't matter. It's only going to be as hard as it is for the person it's easiest for.

Originally posted by Cigarskunk
        What about ogre cultural tailoring, gnomish cooking, troll fletching, wood elf fishing?

Cost, difficulty of skill ups or need to farm materials would definately slow down everyone but the big guilds who got together to PL up a character so that they could get the gear for themselves - there's no garantee that said guild would even sell to folks outside of themselves, especially if the items were perceived to give a significant advantage.
        I honestly don't think items that give a significant advantage will ever be introduced into the game from a pure tradeskilling perspective - BD and velious armours are an exception which I don't expect to ever see again. I think the closest we will ever see is the model of the elemental mold and patterns - the limit isn't finding a smith, brewer or tailor, the limit is finding the molds and patterns.

Comment

To answer the hypothetical question posed above about getting an Erudite smith to a high level should the erudite cultural smithing recipes magically appear.....

There was a post on the old message boards, on smithing of a well funded player who had a large guild supplying him with sub combines for smithing. He went from 0 skill to 250 skill in under 80 hours. I believe it took over 500k or 950k to do (those 2 numbers are rattling around in my head). I believe he did fine steel before the trivials were adjusted, and sickles the rest of the way.

To answer the original question of skill restricted combines? I think it could have been a good idea that was screwed up so terribly badly in the smithing/brewing/tailoring nerf (for example etheral rings take smithing skill >= 220 to press combine, they used to trivial over 250, now they trivial at 212). Of course, if you view skill level restrictions as protection your tradeskill from competitors, you will view this as a good thing. If you view the skill restricted combines as just another recipe that you should be able to get a skill up using, then there was no point in the nerfs, and you will dislike them.

I consider it a bain. The power gamers will spend the 3AA on the crafting mastery (if they need to) and PL their skill up as high as it needs to be. Most 250 smiths on my server are also 250 skill in several other tradeskills.

Comment

Bain?

You guys mean "bane", right?
            ~Turlie Silverwine~
            "Rogues do it from behind"

Comment

Working...
            X