Feature request :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature request :)

Please advise if a feature request would be better located on another place.

I think a great idea would be to include a shopping cart system in EQTC. Here's a scenerio of how it would work:

1) You look up the recipe for Beer-battered Hynid Jerky
    2) You select the recipe and add to "shopping cart"
    3) In the Cart view you modify your Beer-batter Hynid Jerky quantity to 100
    4) You look up the recipe for Beer-battered Cragbeast Jerky
    5) You select the recipe and add to "shopping cart"
    6) In the Cart view you modify the cragbeast quantity to 100
    7) You "check out" and the website will give you an output like:

You will need at least:
    100x 1 lb. Hynid Meat
    100x 1 lb. Cragbeast Meat
    200x flour
    200x red wine
    etc...

The idea is to create a shopping list so that before you sit down to combine like a madwoman, you get all the necessary components, in the right quantities. Of course, this doesn't account for failures in subcombines for sauces, etc. but it will give you a rough estimate of the bare minimum. Maybe I'm just horrible at math, but undoubtedly I have to interrupt my working on a skill because I counted wrong a requirement because it was used in both the subcombines and the combines.

I admit the idea is totally based on a famous vegetarian recipe site that allows you to create a shopping list from selected recipes you want to make (will not include link or name as not to appear to be advertising).

Thank you!

Loklan

PS-I was thinking this could even be a subscription service. I would happily pay for somebody to count my required items for me.

The biggest problem for this will be in large recipes with multiple subcombines with varying non-1 yields.

For instance, MTP, making the marmalade sandwiches. 3 frosting and 1 fruit make 6 apricot marmalades, and then each of those when added with a loaf of bread yield 12 Apricot Sandwiches. So if you put down you wanted 50 MTPs, you need 4.166666 Loaf of Bread and 12.4999 frosting. So it would be a mess unless you restrict to certain quantities that would vary based on EACH recipe. I like the idea, but I am not sure how you would deal with more complex recipes.
    Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
    Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

You'd also run into problems with items that have many different forms of subcombines. Say your recipe requires a Large Brick of Velium at some point. Do you include a Large brick, or three small bricks and a Coldain temper, or one block and a chisel? Do you include all three? What if the recipe requires a file? Do you include the components for making the file too?

It can get pretty messy pretty quick.
      Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
      Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
      Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
      Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Also I'm almost certain that Ngreth (in his civilian capacity as site admin) has said that he does not want to go to a system of individual logins, which is what I'd think is required for people to have "carts". We most definitely do not want to charge people for access (not that there's anything wrong with sites that do - that's just not something we're interested in). The ads are only a necessary evil to cover operational costs.

That said, I don't know if anything could be arranged that wouldn't involve logins.
        Retiree of EQ Traders...
        Venerable Heyokah Verdandi Snowblood
        Barbarian Prophet & Hierophant of Cabilis
        Journeyman Artisan & Blessed of Brell
        EQ Players Profile ~ Magelo Profile

Smith Dandi wipes her sooty hands on her apron and smiles at you.

Comment

I would have liked a shopping list as well for large run either to make a batch to sell or use or simply for tradeskill. One possible solution to the less than one yeild in subcombine is to simply round it up to one whole unit and make note of what "leftover" will be around when you get the desired number of combines.

Also instead of requiring a login, the quality desired calculator could be on each recipe and if someone put s in xx amount and click calculate they will get a new page listing each item and subcombines. It would be one recipe at a time rather than multiple recipies but it wouldn't need to be logged in at all. Just save web page to disk or print it out. Stapler optional for huge recipie like MTP.

Comment

You don't need unique logins to have a shopping cart. You simply create a session per browser connection (with the session_start() PHP function). When the browser closes, the session is lost. Therefore, you cannot "come back" to view a past shopping cart. You simply, create it and print it, or leave the browser open for reference while you go shopping for tradeskill groceries. But each browser connection has a unique identifier without requiring registration or a password.

As to the problem of rounding, there is no way to calculate an exact amount. But it shouldn't be too hard to get an estimated "minimum number of items". For something you'd need 4.6666 for example, simply it'd say you need 5. After all, the system cannot calculate failures.

Regarding the problem of various recipes for the same item, you could have a drop-down selection (or radius button selection) of which of the possible recipes for a subcombine you want. That way, if something requires clumps of dough, for example, you can tell your cart to calculate using the "basilisk egg" recipe for clump of dough.

I know it would require some work in the development of the PHP code for it, but I think it'd be awesome!

As to not charging for its use, that is just as well. I was simply saying that I would even pay for such a service. But if it's free, it's even better.

I am going to see if i can create a basic PHP layout to calculate subcombines, and maybe it could be used as a frame of reference. That is, if there is enough support for this idea.

One way or another, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everybody who has been involved in making EQTC what it is.

Loklan, Firiona Vie

Comment

If someone wants to design it, I would not mind this.

But frankly I do not have time for such an endevor

It is defenitely an interesting idea.
              Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
              Grandmaster Smith 250
              Master Tailor 200
              Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

I've done this (with some minor bugs that I've never taken the time to fix, but know how to) in VB6...but I know little-to-nothing about PHP.

Comment

Working...
                X