How Long 'til I'm Hungry Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long 'til I'm Hungry Again?

I have looked everywhere I can think of and have not found an answer to these 2 questions. If I am overlooking them, please be gentle in your recriminations.

Q: What is the correct order of longevity for food items?

From what I have been able to determine, it is: snack, meal, hearty meal, banquet, feast and miraculous meal.

I have now seen a new category "enduring meal" in the new PoP recipes. Where does this one fit in, please? Also...

Q: Given the correct order of longevity for food items, how long (in ticks or physical time) does each category last?

I make and sell the Halas 10lb Meat Pies, and a potential customer asked me this question - effectively rendering me silent, hehe. The only answer I could come up with was... "Well, ummm... they last a very long time." Needless to say, that answer didn't justify the several platinum I was asking per pie and the young man walked away from my booth scratching his head and not purchasing a thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kaldolur Britebeard
    53 Paladin
    Vazaelle
    Sir Kaldolur Britebeard
    72nd Knight of Brell

"SHORT BEER?! What is that, some kind of joke?!"

I make and sell the Halas 10lb Meat Pies, and a potential customer asked me this question - effectively rendering me silent, hehe. The only answer I could come up with was... "Well, ummm... they last a very long time."
    My standard response on miraculous is 3 hours each.

Never had anyone come back to complain that they timed it at 2:30.

/shrug

Also it varies by race/class/zone and if you have a horse... so mileage varies greatly.

Comment

The quantity of food consumed varies by race/class as well, I believe.

And then there's the horse factor
      It's up to you, what you do will decide your own fate.
      Make your choice now, for tomorrow may be far too late. -- Twisted Sister

Comment

'Enduring meal' is most likely a typo derived from 'enduring drink', which is the counterpart to a hearty meal.

According to Yakitizma at a recent Fan Faire, not only does food & drink consumption vary by race (Trolls and Vah Shir eat more) and class (monks eat less), but by item - even within the same category. Thus, while a 'snack' like a slice of cake lasts 10 minutes, a snake egg only lasts six (Yak's words).

Comment

There are currently 7 different classes of food and drink. Each of the classes has a specific "BASE" RL time if consumed normally. The times can vary during game play based on your character class, race, and if you have a mount.

The Classes and BASE RL times are (food / drink) ...
          Snack / Whistle Wetter - 15 minutes
          Meal / Drink - 30 minutes
          Hearty / Refreshing - 60 minutes
          Banquet / Lasting - 90 minutes
          Feast / Flowing - 120 minutes
          Enduring / Enduring - 150 minutes
          Miraculous / Miraculous - 180 minutes

Force-feeding (consumption by right clicking on the item to eat or drink), according to Abscor, cuts these times in half.

Some of the variations (which I have not received confirmation on yet) ...
          Halfling race - requires twice as often (ex. meal / drink = 15 minutes)
          Monk class - requires half as often (ex. meal / drink = 60 minutes)
          Character with a mount present - requires twice as often (ex. meal / drink = 15 minutes)

DenMother,
          As this question is asked in various forms on nearly a weekly basis - could we post this somewhere for easy reference to all?
          Thank you,
          Cathoir

Comment

Back in October, I tested the durations of several foods. Here is a summary of what I posted back then (seems to have been lost /shrug).

Race and class didn't make a difference. (Vah Shir and Halflings don't eat any faster than humans- although, I never tried a monk. You can't trust that anti-furry-feet propaganda.)

Activity level made no difference (Someone swimming while encumbered ate as slowly as someone sitting down).

Zones did make a diffference- the one I found for sure was that drinks where consumed in half the time in Oasis of Marr.

Not all foods within a category have the same duration- each category seems to be a range, not an exact value.

Vegetables (Snack) 12 min (4 hr game time)
            Vegetable Pie (Meal) 24 min (8 hr game time)
            Rations (Meal) 36 min (12 hr game time)
            Summoned: Black Bread (Meal) 36 min (12 hr game time)
            Iron Ration (Hearty meal) 1 hr
            Ohabah Truffles (Miraculous Meal) 2 hr 48 min (2 day 8 hr game time)
            Someone noted that muffins (meal) lasted exactly half as long rations

Bottle of Milk (Drink) 18 min (6 hour game time)
            Water Flask (Drink) 36 min (12 hr game time)
            Pod of Water (Drink) 38 min (12 hr 40 min game time)
            Poji Piemaker
            Druid of Karana
            Knights of the White Rose
            Tallon Zek

Comment

A few more durations

A couple more durations....

Halas 10 lb meat pie (Miraculous meal) 3 hr 12 min (2 days 16 hr game time)
              Misty Thicket Picnic (Miraculous meal) 4 hr 48 min (4 days game time)
              Qeynos Afternoon Tea (Enduring Drink) 3 hr 24 min (2 days 20 hr game time)
              Poji Piemaker
              Druid of Karana
              Knights of the White Rose
              Tallon Zek

Comment

different races also consume at different rates. Had a kitty shaman friend of mine tell me a stack of picnics lasts him about 8 hrs realtime.

custom sig made by J.Sant Art

Comment

different races also consume at different rates. Had a kitty shaman friend of mine tell me a stack of picnics lasts him about 8 hrs realtime.
                  Tell your friend to get a new timer....

I will say without a doubt that no one, without force feeding, can go through a stack of MTP's in 8 hours.

Comment

please post this somewhere

it's in the FAQ already (both in the main body as a link to the thread discussing it and as an added question) .... not sure how to make it more obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathoir Ghall
                      Some of the variations (which I have not received confirmation on yet) ...
                      Halfling race - requires twice as often (ex. meal / drink = 15 minutes)
                      Monk class - requires half as often (ex. meal / drink = 60 minutes)
                      Character with a mount present - requires twice as often (ex. meal / drink = 15 minutes)
                      I recently ran some experiments on this, and plan to run a few more, but I can already address a few of the above items.

I had a human cleric standing in PoK; he consumed a summoned black bread and summoned water every 36 minutes. I put him on a mount, and those times dropped to 12 minutes. So mounts make you consume stuff THREE times as fast. I also verified that the times were NOT affected by carrying an Imbued Plains Pebble (apparently an EQ Urban Legend, though I intend to try it with a Karana-worshipper soon, just to be sure).

Last night I had a halfling hanging out in Misty, foraging for acorns, and she was also using summoned bread/water. It sure looked as though she was consuming the bread a lot faster than the water, but when I went back later and timed it, they were both the same 36 minutes as for the human. And then I put her Imbued Plains Pebble in the bank, and gave her 50000 cp to encumber her for good measure, and went back to Misty; it was still 36 minutes each.
                      Last edited by Sukrasisx; 06-17-2005, 05:19 AM. Reason: New/corrected info on halflings

Comment

So, and to make it clear, I believe the real live testers here first, why would a dev make a statement saying how different all of these others (races, classes) food consumption is from say a base of a human?

Comment

Originally posted by KB1
                          So, and to make it clear, I believe the real live testers here first, why would a dev make a statement saying how different all of these others (races, classes) food consumption is from say a base of a human?
                          A valid question. I do think my monk might consume less rapidly, though it's hard to be sure because he mostly doesn't eat at all. (Uses a Stone of Defiance charm.) I'll check sometime. But I too was surprised that the halfling didn't seem to consume any faster. I suppose it's possible that druids are slower eaters and the differences cancelled; I'll try comparing halfling/human clerics sometime to make sure. (And it helps that I've since remembered where I can find a cheap "snack" food: Nepeta Cataria Mints for sale in Shar Vahl.)

Edit: Actually used Almonds from the same vendor. 5c each, and they don't last very long, perfect for this! I verified that human cleric, halfling cleric, and halfling druid all eat at the same rate (which for almonds is once every 9:36 on average). A horse exactly tripled the rate, monks exactly halve the rate, and plains pebbles (imbued or not) had no effect. I also consumed at the same rate in Misty, Everfrost, and Great Divide. For details of the method I used to get exact timings, see this post from the "Food and drink durations" thread.
                          Last edited by Sukrasisx; 06-26-2005, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X