This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PoR NDA Lifted (spoilers included)

I just saw a note from Raghnell (EQ Producer) that the NDA was lifted.

There's some really nice tradeskilling stuff this time around. Props to Maddoc and Ngreth for all their hard work. As you already know, Alchemy doesn't just get a facelift, but a complete overhaul. There's some really nice jewelcrafting stuff; the resulting jewelry has nice stats from what I saw. Fletching gets some recipes for skilling up towards 300 (how effective a skill up path it will actually be remains to be seen based on availability of components.) I believe tinkering gets some luvin as well, but alas, I did not spend much time testing tinkering out, so I cannot speak to this.

And there's trophies, trophies and more trophies. Every tradeskill has a quest where you can get a trophy now (including research.) The trophies are different based on your skill level; every 50 skill points you get a different trophy. Trophies are evolving items, so they will continue to skill up and gain power as you do more (successful) combines. They have very nice tradeskill mods on them (at the higher levels), and some nice stats too; and of course, the 100% weight reduction satchel (though from what I saw, there's not a different one for each trade, at least at the lower levels.) In answer to anticipated questions, I did not see any super trophies. Perhaps that's something Ngreth has up his sleeve for later on, I don't know.

And of course, bank space. <3 Bank space. This is gonna mean some major changes to the top 10, as there are a number of issues that this expansion addresses.

Originally posted by Nolrog
    Every tradeskill has a quest where you can get a trophy now (including research.) The trophies are different based on your skill level; every 50 skill points you get a different trophy. Trophies are evolving items, so they will continue to skill up and gain power as you do more (successful) combines.
    (1) Quests are "kill mobs" based or "make items with tradeskills" based?
    (2) So once we gain another 50 skill points, we have to do another quest for a new trophy? Or they get auto upgraded after performing one single quest at the beginning?
    (3) Trophies evolve on successful *trivial* combines as well or *non-trivial combines* only?

Comment

Originally posted by Elfdruidess
      (1) Quests are "kill mobs" based or "make items with tradeskills" based?
      make items with tradeskills
      (2) So once we gain another 50 skill points, we have to do another quest for a new trophy? Or they get auto upgraded after performing one single quest at the beginning?
      you do the task once, it will evolve with you and you do not need to do another task for that skill.
      (3) Trophies evolve on successful *trivial* combines as well or *non-trivial combines* only?
      Non trivial, no more than 100 over your skill.
      Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
      Grandmaster Smith 250
      Master Tailor 200
      Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

Thanks for the quick answers . I'm hoping the "make items with tradeskills" quest is pumpkin lvl and not shawl or aid grimel lvl. I always wanted tradeskill quests that only need soloing 1 million greens. Ok, I know that's just me :P.

- Edit -
        By "pumpkin", I meant the lvl of the mob. Not the trivial of the item needed to be made. As tradeskillers, trivials should be as high as necessary (by all means go 404). But the lvl of the mob should not be high to the extent that you need a group to assist you with it.
        Last edited by Elfdruidess; 02-16-2006, 10:25 PM.

Comment

New trophies that evolve based on non-trivial combines?

What about the umpteen million combines I already did?

Lame.

A trophy should be reward for work you've already done... not for work you may do in the future. What the heck kind of sense does that make??

Comment

Not Lame

From what I understand since you have already done the hard part and gotten yer skill up then when you do the quest it will give you the Trophy that is evolved up to your current skill level.

And Non-Trivial means above your current skill level but not 100 points above.

Rao
            Last edited by Raolinx; 02-17-2006, 03:08 AM.
            Rao's gear

Retired from EQ on or around Septemeber 06.

Harp's gear

PS. Molto Has retired. EQ2 has lured core group away.

I quit the game I loved because it wasn't anymore. Guilds allowing farmers in because they could do a lot of damage in raids.
            SoE not really doing anything about farmers, macroquesters ect.
            Still Some of my favorite times spent online happened in Norath. The friends and mobs I remember fondly.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaladar Bragollach
              New trophies that evolve based on non-trivial combines?

What about the umpteen million combines I already did?

Lame.

A trophy should be reward for work you've already done... not for work you may do in the future. What the heck kind of sense does that make??
              I totally agree with you on this. I should stop all my combines until this comes out. Where is the incentive then? All the times I spent clicking to get my skill to 300 on 5 of 7 tradeskills now someone who comes later with easier way to get up get better trophy because the didn't start earlier? I don't think that's fair.

Taushar

Carpe Diem, Carpe Nocturn
              Taushar Tigris
              High Elf Exemplar of 85th circle
              Druzzil Ro server

Necshar Tigris
              Gnome Necromancer of 32nd circle

Krugan
              Barbarian Rogue of 61st circle

Katshar
              Vah Shir Shaman of 26th circle

Comment

Originally posted by Raolinx
                From what I understand since you have already done the hard part and gotten yer skill up then when you do the quest it will give you the Trophy that is evolved up to your current skill level.

And Non-Trivial means above your current skill level but not 100 points above.

Rao
                I hope you're correct but it could still be ugly.

What if you are beyond 282 fletching for example but not to 300 yet... so you get the 250 version without having gained any of the benefits of the "easy" combines between 250 and 282.

What if you are at 299 tailoring?

In any case, if its as simple as get 300 skill then hail a guy then what's the point of having it be an evolving item? Just for novelty?

Why not just leave it at that... get 300 skill then hail a guy and *boom* new trophy.

Comment

The following is what I understand from the limited info I heard. Did I understand correctly? Please do not take what I understand as fact. Because I can most definitely be wrong.

The so called "evolving" of the trophy just means there are 7 of them. 1 = what you get at 50 skill. 6 = what you get at 300 skill. So if you're at 300 skill, you get trophy 6 right away. Whereas if you're at 50 skill, the trophy will "evolve" with you through 1 to 6. This so-called "evolving" is just a reflection of your skill raise from 50 to 300.

If you're at 300 skill, then you get to "evolve" your trophy 6 into 7. And this is where the trophy no longer reflects skill raise. Because your skill remains at 300 but your trophy will eventually "evolve" one lvl more. And this is where the non-trivial combines come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaladar Bragollach
                    What if you are beyond 282 fletching for example but not to 300 yet... so you get the 250 version without having gained any of the benefits of the "easy" combines between 250 and 282.

What if you are at 299 tailoring?
                    At 282 fletching, you'll be in between trophy 5 and 6. I cannot imagine your trophy 5 reflecting the number of combines you've done instead of your skill. Because if it reflects the number of combines you've done, what if you've reached a maxed, say 1000 combines and *still* haven't reached 300 skill? Surely, the trophy cannot reach 6 ahead of your skill reaching 300.

Unless, the number of combines needed for every 50 points in skill has now been capped. But that would involve skillup coding instead of just evolving items.

Comment

As I understand it, if you are way ahead of your trophy's "skill", ex: you have trophy 5 that can be obtained at 250 skill, but your current skill is 282, then your trophy will evolve at a somewhat faster rate to "catch up" with you.

Also, ....big thing not mentioned here...the % mod on the trophies will be higher than 5%... even if it takes a while for you to evolve tophy 6 (at 300 skill) to the 7th final trophy, the % mod at level 6 is worth it. And the stats are nothing to sneeze at.

So keep an open mind and reserve your judgements till you actually see them in game and try them out. If you still hate them after that, /feedback ! (politely, constructively)
                      Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
                      Silky Moderator Lady
                      Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ngreth Thergn

Non trivial, no more than 100 over your skill.
                        Ok that defines the upper end then.

Could someone answer the question regarding the lower end: Does it check against raw skill or modified skill to determine whether or not a combine is trivial?

Comment

Non trivial defines the lower end.

I would assume it checks raw skill... otherwise it would be punishing you for equipping a skill mod and that would just be stupid.

Still think its pretty lame that the trophy is combine based instead of skill based.

Comment

Originally posted by Maevenniia
                            As I understand it, if you are way ahead of your trophy's "skill", ex: you have trophy 5 that can be obtained at 250 skill, but your current skill is 282, then your trophy will evolve at a somewhat faster rate to "catch up" with you.

I would love to know what kind of voodoo magic can be invoked to produce code that does this.

The item would have to "know" what skill you were at when you obtained it and then adjust its evolution rate to compensate.
                            What happens if you get really lucky with skillups and hit 300 before it evolves? What happens if you get really unlucky and it evolves before you hit 300?

In the case of you already being at 300 skill, how would it "know" how much to adjust. The only option here is for everyone to start at square 1 with the 300 skill trophy. Thus any combines you already did after reaching 300 until now go unrewarded.

I am not pleased at the idea of having to go back to tradeskills I've had 300 in for many months and do more endless combines to increase a trophy that is supposed to reflect my skill. SOE will have to do better than that for me to shell out 30 bucks. I ain't doing it just for bank space (I have some principles).
                            Last edited by Qaladar Bragollach; 02-17-2006, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiroon
                              Ok that defines the upper end then.

Could someone answer the question regarding the lower end: Does it check against raw skill or modified skill to determine whether or not a combine is trivial?
                              it's raw skill.
                              level 1 gives you a +1% modifier
                              Level 6 gives you a 12% modifier (can get this at 300 skill)
                              Level 7 Final item gives 15% modifier.

You can SKIP all previous levels of the trophy and start at whatever bracket your skill is. when you talk to the little gnome lady she will give you the appropriate quest for your level. when you do the quest, it involves 10? things like:
                              Make 4 (jaded platinum rings)
                              Make 2 (golden Blue Diamond pendants)
                              then
                              turn in 4 (jaded platinum rings) to the judge
                              Turn in 2 (golden blue diamond pendants) to the judge

lower levels have appropriate make/turn in parts. Level 1 tailoring was things like make leather padding, spider silk thread, silk swatch etc.

what will happen if you skip levels:
                              Once you turn in all items to the judge (and don't delete items like I did without noticing you had to trun them in....)
                              go back to the lil gnome lady she will give you a level 1 trophy and a certificate for your level, pop the certificate in your tradeskill container and hit combine. Your trophy will then reflect the appropriate level you are at.

Once you get the level 6 trophy at skill 300, to evolve it into a level 7 you will need to do more combines, but not quested, just let it gain XP from your non trivial combines (anything over 300 under 400)

For store bought skills to 300, you will need to do approximately 1000 more successful combines to reach the level 7.

For Farmed skills to 300, you will need to do approximately 400 more successful combines.

And yes, at least on the 2 I did to make the level 6 version (2 skills over 300) one line of the quest does say make a (old style) trophy and turn it in. Now, if you already HAVE an old style trophy, you can give it to the lil gnome lady and she will mark off your quest the make it line and turn in line.

You do NOT have to personally make any subcombines, just whatever the final combine required for that particular item is. so things like MCS's can still purchase all subcombines in baz, and then just do final combine for it to count.
                              On another note: Ngreth told us last night he just didn't get the time needed to nerf Karana/woodelf fletching, though there are more fletching recipes available for skilling up for others now, and the new types of bows are kinda fun to make if you read the books.

Also, MTPS finally have competition! and I hope you like natimbi , Taelosian wheat & mountain wheat FINALLY get their lovin's.

Alliance Artisan
                              Proud owner of Artisan's Prize.

Comment

Working...
                              X