Coldain Prayer Shawl needs some adornment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coldain Prayer Shawl needs some adornment

The continuing upward spiral of drop and mission reward item quality has rendered many of the earlier "badge of honor" type quests of Everquest worthless. A case in point is the Thurgiden prayer shawl quest. Does anyone still do this once wonderful quest? SOE has stated that there will not be a 9th shawl quest because, well, the 8th shawl was given the player who quested it by the Avatar of the god. That makes sense in terms of storyline. What does not make sense anymore is the quality of the item. SOE should rectify this by modifying the Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl and making it an evolving item would maintain story continuity while encouraging many players to once again take up the onerous task of completing this quest. Below are my suggestions for a revamped Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl:

Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl
    MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
    Evolving: Level 1/4
    Slot: SHOULDER
    AC: 8
    Focus Effect: Zephyr of Brell
    STA: +8 CHA: +8 WIS: +8 INT: +8 HP: +50 MANA: +50
    SV FIRE: +8 SV DISEASE: +8 SV COLD: +8 SV MAGIC: +8
    SV POISON: +8
    Mana regeneration: +3
    WT: 2.0 Size: SMALL
    Class: ALL
    Race: ALL
    Slot 1, type 7:empty

Comfortable Blessed Prayer Shawl
    Evolving: Level 2/4
    AC: 10
    STA: +10 CHA: +10 WIS: +10 INT: +10 HP: +75 MANA: +75
    SV FIRE: +10 SV DISEASE: +10 SV COLD: +10 SV MAGIC: +10
    SV POISON: +10
    Channelling: +3%

Favored Blessed Prayer Shawl
    Evolving: Level 3/4
    AC: 12
    Focus Effect: Seawind of Brell
    STA: +12 CHA: +12 WIS: +12 INT: +12 HP: +100 MANA: +100
    SV FIRE: +12 SV DISEASE: +12 SV COLD: +12 SV MAGIC: +12
    SV POISON: +12
    Channelling: +3%
    Alteration: +3%
    Mana regeneration: +4
    Slot 2, type 8:empty

Brell's Blessed Prayer Shawl
    Evolving: Level 4/4
    AC: 15
    Focus Effect: Seawind of Brell
    STA: +15 CHA: +15 WIS: +20 INT: +20 HP: +150 MANA: +150
    SV FIRE: +15 SV DISEASE: +15 SV COLD: +15 SV MAGIC: +15
    SV POISON: +15
    Alteration: +5%
    Channelling: +5%
    Regeneration: +3
    Mana regeneration: +5
    Slot 2, type 8:empty

Seawind of Brell
    Classes: None

Description:

1: Increase Spell Duration by 25%
    2: Limit: Max Level(70) (lose 10% per level over cap)
    3: Limit: Spell Type(Beneficial only)
    4: Limit: Effect(Complete Heal (with duration) excluded)
    5: Limit: Effect(Invunerability excluded)
    6: Limit: Min Duration(24.00 sec)
    7: Limit: Effect(Reaction Radius excluded)
    8: Limit: Combat Skills Not Allowed

This is a focus effect
    Spell Type: Beneficial Skill: Conjuration
    Mana: 0 Target Type: Self
    Casting Time: Instant Duration: 3.0 mins @L1 to 3 hour(s) 15.0 mins @L70
    Recast Time: 0 Resist: Unresistable (0)
    Fizzle Time: 0.00 Range to target: 100
    AE Radius: 0 Interruptable: Yes
    Reflectable: Yes

I can't think of a precedent for bumping up the reward on a quest that's years old without bumping up the difficulty of the quest.

Also, not a chance in heck they'd give it 2 aug slots.

Also, its currently not possible to have more than 1 skill mod on an item.

Comment

Velious = Best Expansion Ever

Cheers,

Plainswalker of the 75th Season
      Quiet and stealthy, Lokase slips into the forest to resume the hunt.

Comment

Well, one of the problems is that we're talking about a reward from a zone that's how many expansions old? Loot becomes obsolete as new zones and items are released--we just have to deal with it. I just replaced my 8th shawl today...I'll admit that it pained me to do so, but I couldn't see continuing to wear an outdated and inadequate piece of equipment.

BTW, I also have the 10th Coldain ring...IMHO, it's considerably more difficult to complete than the 8th shawl, but it's still old, outdated equipment and I'll be replacing it as well when I get the opportunity. And that pains me even more than replacing the shawl
        Sir Carmaris Stoneheart
        Dwarven Lord Crusader
        Beezle Bug
        High Elf Templar
        Bertoxxulous
        Debeo Amicitia

Comment

Coldain Shawl Quests

My point about the shawl quest is that it needs an update or no one (well no one but a tiny tiny portion of the player community) will do the quest. This quest takes days and days of skilling up in multiple tradeskills, tons of platinum invested to skill up, days and days of farming drops. Yes the fights are not as difficult as to obtain the 10th coldain ring, but a 59+ toon of the right class can solo rings 1-8 and part of ring 9... single group the non-soloable fights for ring 9 and (as long as they have a competent bunch of raiders and a couple Highsun bards) do the ring war ... and if sufficiently motivated do it in a day.
          Also, the coldain rings can be MQ'ed at 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9... the shawl only at 2, 3, and 4.

So a ton of work... lots of boring hours skilling and farming drops, lots of plat invested for a shawl that became underpowered with the advent of PoP and obsolete with the advent of GoD. Even the few who might have elected to do the quest after GoD came out would pretty much say no to it now that DoN and DoD have come out.

Still as a quest, it is one of the best tradeskilling ones in the game... used to be referred to as the tradeskiller's epic.. and unlike the Aide Grimel quest, it was doable by any player, even those without access to raiding guilds to get the necessary PoP flags to accomplish the signet quest. Unlike the phylactery quest, you didn't need a couple hundred thousand plat to buy the books or a very strong group or modest raid, and the luck to win the roll on each book and the Velious caster BP's; to get quest items for the shawl, you could solo, duo or group everything ... and at a level where you could still earn experience doing the farming.

I can't be alone in wanting to see good gear available by doing interesting, achievable by the average player, quests. Sadly the direction of the game seems to be one where 95% of the players will be wearing level 61+ monster mission gear. Tradeskill quests will be ignored as the gear from them is weak in proportion to the time spent on them, and tradeskills will be done only in order to make a couple of items that have very high value with every other item being solely a platinum sink.

When I started playing, an untwinked new toon could make some cash doing tradeskills, but the punitive undervaluing of crafted items, both for NPC merchant sellback and tribute value make it nearly impossible for a new player to use tradeskills to improve his or her character. This quest, till about 4 expansions back was one reason to do tradeskills that were only worthwhile if you had 250 skill (now needing at least 282) and the ability to farm all of your materials. I have the 8th shawl and had been accumulting the parts to do it 4 more times on 4 other toons. As it stands, I will not. The toons all have the skill to successfully make the shawls, but it isn't worth the timesink. By today's equipment standard, this quest is worthless. More game flavor lost.

Comment

Again, that's a result of growth in the game. I remember doing the Armor of Ro quests back in mid 2000...still have a few of the pieces in my bank. How many players today do you think bother with the massive time sinks of camping the drops for the original class armor quests? Still some fond memories of helping others get theirs, of others helping me get mine.

Also, the shawl isn't that difficult. As you pointed out about the Coldain Ring quest, almost all of it can be done solo now. Even the 8th ring fight is much easier--when I did it for myself, I had nearly three groups along. When I did it for my cleric, we had one group. I'm relatively certain that I could do the 8the shawl with just myself and a friend or two these days. Sure, there's the time sink of tradeskills, but that's more monotonous than challenging.

Do I think that there should be good quests for tradeskillers? Yes. I just don't think that improving the end result for a quest from 8 expansions ago is the way to go. Another thing to keep in mind is that for the non-"uber", more casual player, the Shawl quests still result in an item with nice stats and effects that can be beneficial for quite some time.
            Sir Carmaris Stoneheart
            Dwarven Lord Crusader
            Beezle Bug
            High Elf Templar
            Bertoxxulous
            Debeo Amicitia

Comment

Hundreds (thousands) of long boring quests are no longer done anymore because their reward is obsolete.

What makes the shawl special in this regard? Tradeskills?

Garzicor's Vengeance anyone?

Heck for that matter with the amount of nice earrings available from DoD missions, Aid Grimel is rapidly becoming obsolete and that is FAR more difficult than shawl.

This is the nature of an evolving game.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaladar Bragollach
                This is the nature of an evolving game.
                It is that way because we accept it, not because that's the way it has to be. The game could evolve just as easily if it built on its previous content instead of replacing it.
                Dyllwin Dalewalker
                94th Heirophant of Karana
                Master Artisan, Member of the 2100 club!
                Tailoring 300 - Fletching 300
                Jewelry 300 - Smithing 300
                Brewing 300 - Baking 300
                Pottery 300

Alts:
                Pattes Tinkering 300 - Research 300
                Krakkn Abakkn Alchemy 300
                Nimblefoot Dalewalker
                Baking 250
                Soluss Monachus Brewing 296
                Ripima Smithing 266

Cazic-Thule Server

Comment

Exactly!

Originally posted by Dyllwin
                  It is that way because we accept it, not because that's the way it has to be. The game could evolve just as easily if it built on its previous content instead of replacing it.
                  A lot of things in tradeskills should be revisited, but aren't because we, the tradeskilling community, tolerate them. For example, the recommended and required level limits on many crafted items that render them unsaleable.

For example, the recommended levels on the blue diamond cultural armor (heraldic, artificier, etc. should simply be removed). That would make it marketable twink armor. The restrictions on PoP bows and armor should be lowered, and the limits and restrictions on pale velium weapons should be eliminated on shimmering lowered.

When those items were first introduced, the restrictions made some sense, but as more and more powerful drop items have been introduced that are available to the casual player, they no longer make sense.

Comment

Heck for that matter with the amount of nice earrings available from DoD missions, Aid Grimel is rapidly becoming obsolete and that is FAR more difficult than shawl.
                    That's not entirely true. I have access to Anguish level gear, and I still have difficulty finding a solid replacement earring for the Signet of Might. (I swapped out my Signet of the Arcane a while back, though I will probably swap it back in at some point.) While many raid-dropped earrings have solid stats, solid saves, or solid boosts (focus effects or Time stats), it's hard to find an earring that has all of the above in one. The final Aid Grimel earring serves its purpose well.

I remember wearing the 8th shawl well into Time. It served me amazingly well. Nowadays, I would get it as a twink item for a caster, but it would likely be replaced fairly quickly around level 60, as the toon starts doing DoDH missions.
                    Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
                    Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
                    Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
                    Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

I'm not a melee class so I dunno about that. There are 4 or 5 DoD misssions with caster auto rewarded earrings with better stats than Signet of the Arcane and the focus effect is obsolete since the level cap raise.

As for shawl... again obsolete focus effect and 50 hp/mana is pathetic. 70.4 has an auto reward caster shawl with 210/200 hp/mana.

Comment

The focus on Signet of the Arcane is still better than Mana Preservation 5 for level 70 spells. It's only outdated if you have something better than that, which is pretty rare for non-raiders.
                        Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
                        Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
                        Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
                        Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

How many non-raiders are flagged for elementals anyway?

It's only .5 percent better than MP5 at 70 and that focus effect is available on several items including an auto reward cloak from the normal Freemind Cipher DoD mission and a tradeable primary/secondary item that drops from epic 1.5 chests. Sells for around 150k on my server. Thats way less than I paid to raise my tradeskills that high

Comment

I can't think of a precedent for bumping up the reward on a quest that's years old without bumping up the difficulty of the quest...
                            I can see the validity of this statement... however if it is an item that still needs to be leveled up then it is still not a "free" instant upgrade.

Originally posted by Condottieri
                            ...Below are my suggestions for a revamped Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl...
                            Excellent idea! Though I think you have bumped the final reward stats beyond the difficulty to obtain... perhaps a scaled down version like this could be doable though...

Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl
                            Evolving: Level 1/4
                            AC: 8
                            STA: +8 CHA: +8 WIS: +8 INT: +8 HP: +50 MANA: +50
                            SV FIRE: +8 SV DISEASE: +8 SV COLD: +8 SV MAGIC: +8
                            SV POISON: +8

Comfortable Blessed Prayer Shawl
                            Evolving: Level 2/4
                            AC: 10
                            STA: +10 CHA: +10 WIS: +10 INT: +10 HP: +65 MANA: +65
                            SV FIRE: +10 SV DISEASE: +10 SV COLD: +10 SV MAGIC: +10
                            SV POISON: +10
                            Regeneration: +1

Favored Blessed Prayer Shawl
                            Evolving: Level 3/4
                            AC: 12
                            STA: +12 CHA: +12 WIS: +12 INT: +12 HP: +75 MANA: +75
                            SV FIRE: +12 SV DISEASE: +12 SV COLD: +12 SV MAGIC: +12
                            SV POISON: +12
                            Regeneration: +2

Brell's Blessed Prayer Shawl
                            Evolving: Level 4/4
                            AC: 15
                            STA: +15 CHA: +15 WIS: +15 INT: +15 HP: +100 MANA: +100
                            SV FIRE: +15 SV DISEASE: +15 SV COLD: +15 SV MAGIC: +15
                            SV POISON: +15
                            Mana regeneration: +5
                            Regeneration: +3

However it should be noted that ZoB really needs to be increased to level 70 anyway... increasing duration from 20-25% is pushing it a bit. I would like to see perhaps the slot on this change through these upgrades to possibly be multi-slot equipable... I do recall a few older pieces that were ARM, WRIST, SHOULDER... that should not break the item but add a bit more versatility to it.

Comment

How about a tradeskilled augment that only works for the coldain shawl/ring that makes them evolving items? I like the idea.
                              Flatley Riverdancer
                              Font of All Wisdom Man Was Not Meant to Know
                              65th level Druid
                              Quellious

Comment

Working...
                              X