Interesting cat fact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting cat fact

Did you know that Valium can be used to stimulate a cat's appetite?

{ponder}

As in, a cat that hasn't eaten in days, has been unwilling/unable to eat, even after anti-nausea meds, etc., who was in danger of getting hospitalized, given an IV and have a feeding tube stuck in (again), was given a shot in the leg (low dose, below what would tranquilize her), and within 3 minutes, she practically inhaled a full can of cat food. We're talking about tearing into it like there's no tomorrow, making a total mess of the examining table, not really chewing, just gulping it down as fast as she could.

The insane cat munchies apparently last only a few minutes, but we're hoping it's enough to kick her appetite back into something a bit more normal so she'll start eating again.

(The cat in question has a bit of brain damage, and we're starting to suspect that if she gets off her feed for whatever reason - such as a kitty flu or something, there may be something neurological that makes her go anorexic and it takes something pretty severe to get her to eat again.)

When the vet said we'd give this a try, and that, when it worked, it had pretty spectacular results, we still sort of expected to bring her home and maybe see some results this evening. Imagine our surprise when he brought in paper plates with cat food on 'em (2 canned, one dry), stuck them in front of her (she sniffed, then ignored them), then gave her the shot. She didn't even bother standing up after the shot, just suddenly started wolfing down the food in front of her.

I didn't know whether to laugh at the spectacle she made or cry in relief that this 3rd vet visit of the week brought such spectacular results, but finally settled for laughter.

... but ... *valium* ... giving a cat mega-munchies.

{shakes head} Valium?!

/em crosses fingers for kitty appetite returning

/boggle

There are days when I wish I could build a giant kitty sanctuary. TheWife won't lemme... and the homeowner's assOciation where we live won't let us legally have more than two "pets"... So our two kitties send their love to your little one.
    In My (Not Always) Humble Opinion, except where I quote someone. If I don't know I say so.
    I suck at this game, your mileage WILL vary. My path is probably NON-optimal.
    Private Messages attended to promptly.

Comment

{crosses fingers, toes and eyes}

She's eaten small amounts several times since last night and I'm praying she continues to recover well ... and that the other two don't decide that misery loves company. {shiver}

Comment

Good luck with your baby, hope she decides to start eating!

And that is really amazing that valium of all things works

Comment

The really scary thing is trying to figure out who tried this first! Imagine someone sharing their drugs with their cat and recording the effects (probably recorded in crayon if they were doing the same drugs)

Valium - Increases appetite
          Methamphetamines - Causes cat to wear housedresses
          Qualudes - Cat buries itself in the litterbox
          Ectasy - Daliesque sprayings on all the walls
          LSD - Cat flies up to the roof and speaks German

Tillinghast
          Vendor Mule
          FDA approved

Comment

so Valium is to cats as Pot is to humans?
            Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
            Silky Moderator Lady
            Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillinghast
              The really scary thing is trying to figure out who tried this first! Imagine someone sharing their drugs with their cat and recording the effects (probably recorded in crayon if they were doing the same drugs)

Valium - Increases appetite
              Methamphetamines - Causes cat to wear housedresses
              Qualudes - Cat buries itself in the litterbox
              Ectasy - Daliesque sprayings on all the walls
              LSD - Cat flies up to the roof and speaks German

Tillinghast
              Vendor Mule
              FDA approved
              OMG.. I thought these forums were safe.. I just choked and spit pepsi all over my keyboard..

I too am a cat lover.. best wishes to the ailing one
              Welcome to my parlor...

Comment

Sadly, the poor dingbat (she's our dain-bramaged one that we rescued from a hit and run a few years ago), is still not doing well, and it's been a chain of different problems with her. She's now back in the pet hospital for round-the-clock monitoring for a second time. Every time we think she's on the mend, something else goes wrong. Hopefully she's over the worst of it.

{crosses fingers, toes and eyes}

Comment

I hope she's better, soon, Den Mom. Poor cats are so susceptable to lack of food. Most people don't realize how dangerous it is for cats not to eat for a couple of days.

Comment

Aww

My kitty wants me to send much hugs 'n pettings to your kitty, and hopes for a full recovery.

{After all, someone has to control the humans. ~ Mr. M}

.....HEY! /glares at Monsieur Minou.
                    Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
                    Silky Moderator Lady

Comment

/em is still checking this thread hopeful for good results

"As ever cat owner knows, no one owns a cat."

"Dogs have masters, cats have staff."
                      In My (Not Always) Humble Opinion, except where I quote someone. If I don't know I say so.
                      I suck at this game, your mileage WILL vary. My path is probably NON-optimal.
                      Private Messages attended to promptly.

Comment

Sadly, after weeks of one odd thing going awry after another with the poor dear, they may finally know what's wrong with her. Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). If so, it's terminal. I'm headed over to the vet clinic in a bit to visit her and to talk to the vet about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Niami DenMother
                          Sadly, after weeks of one odd thing going awry after another with the poor dear, they may finally know what's wrong with her. Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). If so, it's terminal. I'm headed over to the vet clinic in a bit to visit her and to talk to the vet about it.
                          On no, sorry to hear that
                          Silky Moderator Lady

Comment

My condolences

Comment

Thanks. It was FIP, and she was getting markedly worse by the hour. When I went to visit her, she was in an oxygen tank. They removed the lid so I could pet her and say goodbye, and the moment I touched her, even though she was obviously not doing well, she started in on the loveliest, loudest purr.

I'm going to miss that purr ... among other things.

Comment

Working...
                              X