Lava rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lava rocks

I've recently started skilling up on enchanted dwarven plate, and quickly exhausted my supply of tempers. I've have a bunch of mercury but no lava rocks. So I figure no worries, I'll just farm some more. I remember reading on the old boards awhile back that the elementals in TS were a great place to farm them. So I get a port over there and just start killing elementals. After about an hour or two of nonstop killing, I've only gotten 1 lava rock. :x

I killed quite a number of fire elementals, so I'm wondering if they nerfed the drop rate, or do I need to do something special to get ones that drop lava rocks? Does anyone know of a better source for lava rocks? I've tried najena, and that was pretty slow, I was in skyfire once in my mid 40s and got my butt kicked, as a 55 paladin would it be possible for me to solo farm rocks there at a reasonable rate? or is there anyplace in PoP that drops them, I haven't gotten it yet, but hopefully will this week.

Thanks
    Ironblade
    55 Knight
    Bertoxxulous

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Hehe, the two of us should get together. I've been farming for iron oxide and swirling mist (potter friend, and I do HE smithing when I can get enough morning dew). The elementals in TS rare drop Lava Rocks, as do the ones in Najena. I'd stick with TS personaly as there are alot more elemental spawns there to pick on. I have been told that the earth elementals in The Hole aslo drop lava rocks, but I've never seen it. To hunt the Hole you should have a full group. If you go down the drop off there is no such thing as soloing. Personaly, I wouldn't try soloing the entrance either unless you happen to be a FD capable class.
    No matter where you go Lava Rocks arn't going to be better than a rare drop, but you should have some luck dumpster diving in TS, as there arn't a whole lot of demand for them in the Bazaar (unlike windstones :shock: )
    Tailoring, why did I ever start tailoring? *sob*

Comment

You may have had some bad luck in TS. I farm the elementals with my Necro in 2 hr runs. Almost always come back with close to a stack of lava rocks. I just keep the island clear and take out the fire elementals 1st.

I wished the Earth Elementals dropped mercury enough to break even on making tempers. I always get more lava rocks than drops of mercury.
      -= Gymp =-
      57 Cleric
      Umble Servant of Brell

Comment

I don't know if your overall production of Lava Rocks will increase, But you should be able to solo in SkyFire at 55 as a Pally. I can as a 54 Cleric so I am using that as a reference point. It will be slow, and the XP will suck, and I don't know if you can solo the Chroma Drakes or not(I think they are the mob that drops them), But you can kill multiple birds with one stone that way.

Heck with a cleric partner, you can farm for lava rocks, spells, some cash drops, and the cleric's needed epic pieces, while getting some xp. Not good xp, but I prefer farming blues over green any day, especially when you aren't getting as much as you need/want from the greens.

EDIT: I meant Wyverns in Skyfire, chroma Dracs drop Essence of Sunlight.
        Arrakeen Naed'Shoj
        Smith and Priest of Tunare's Blessings

Comment

Twilight is great for laval rocks after a day of farming I have probably 2 stacks of rocks, 1 stack of swirling mists (HE cultural smithing sucks) and 10 or so Iron Oxides. Being a wizard I can AE the entire island in two passes (believe it or not I am attack on sight on the island now), although with the addition of the iron oxides I find it much safer to gate into Twilight these days, as every potter camps it now. Our guild has a dwarf smith, and I usually save them for him, with much praise and adoration. :P
          • Malcor Stormfury
          • Jewelcraft - 250
          • Brewing - 250
          • Pottery - 250
          • Baking - 250
          • Blacksmithing - 250
          • Fletching - 250
          • Tailoring - 250
          • Fishing - 200

Comment

Lava Rocks

Wow… I remember when lava rocks were hard to get. They drop like candy now in comparison. I guess I'm showing my EQ age.

Anyway, the Fire Elementals in Twilight Sea are the best source for these by quite a margin. Fire Elementals in Najena also drop them, but there are relatively few Fire Elemental spawns in Najena.

Earth Elementals in the Hole do not drop Lava Rocks, but do drop mercury.

Wyverns are the mobs in Skyfire that drop lava rocks, Chromodrakes drop Essence of Sunlight used by human smiths though. I suspect you will not be able to solo Wyverns efficiently (if at all) at your level. Chromodrakes will strip all of your buffs every fight at your level too. You have been warned.

Fire Giants in SolB drop lava rocks, but they require a group of mid 50's to handle.

I still cry every time I hear of someone skilling up on Dwarven Cultural. Earthen Tempers used to be that rare. I guess I just need to get used to the idea. However, I would still recommend that you skill up on Shadowscream Steel and save your Earthen Tempers for items you intend to sell.

Good luck to you!

Boleslav Forgehammer (sobbing softly in the corner, mourning the loss of all those lava rocks)
            Paladin of Brell in his 58th Campaign
            E'ci - The Twilight Fellowship
            Blacksmithing - 250

Comment

Originally posted by Gymp
              I wished the Earth Elementals dropped mercury enough to break even on making tempers. I always get more lava rocks than drops of mercury.
              Drop of Mercury is now craftable, just seek out your friendly neighborhood rogue/poisonmaker when you run short.

Comment

Great that drops of mercury are now able to be crafted. But I can't seem to find the recipie anywhere on the poison pages.
                Can anyone provide a link please?

Comment

http://www.eqtraders.com/secrets/recipes_PoP_poison.htm

V drop of mercury mercuric ore, gnomish spirits mortar & pestle yields 2, trivial reported as 200; also reported that it will not allow a combine attempt before skill 200

Comment

I thought about skilling up on Enchanted Dwarven Plate myself, but the tempers are such a pain to get to be honest.

I have far less success gathering Lava Rocks from Twilight Sea than other posters here, and I have spent about 30 or 40 hours killing the Elementals (BUT thats with low 30's characters) to get a stack or two I could only imagine the posters here are destroying the whole island. For myself, getting 2 or 3 Lava Rocks per hour is the average.

I have about 100 Earthen Tempers, 160ish Lava Rocks and about 40 Mercury atm (vast amount being bought), but I am choosing to do Shadowscream instead. I would just rather have a lifetimes (if possible) supply up my sleeve so I never have to farm them again....

Anyways, if you are going to T.S to kill for Lava Rocks I think you may need to use AOE tactics to really net the greatest returns in the shortest amount of time....

Comment

Lava Rocks

Definately TS for lava rocks. The drop rate, all things considered, and the sheer number of elementals there makes it so.

Heck, wish I could solo them effectively. My smith is a dwarf cleric, but he's only 26th, so can't hunt elemental island himself.

I have a 51st level warrior, but the damage shield on the fire elementals is brutal! I really can't effectively farm, even at level 51. To much time spent bandaging. Heck, I have better luck farming with my 36 mage than I do with my 51 warrior! :shock: Simply because he has cancel/nulify magic to get rid of the DS, and the warrior doesn't. *sigh*
                      Balkin Ironfist (Ominous Deeds)
                      56th Myrmidon of Brell Serilis
                      Xegony

"Every day of my life forces me to lower my estimate of the average IQ of the Human Race."

Comment

Minor derail:

Okay, for the ignorant here ... you all mention skilling up on enchanted dwarven plate. ENCHANTED? Ya, sure, the trivials make it a nice method, but how the #$%&% do you get that much enchanted brellium? Your own enchanter?

Enchanting brellium is my huge problem.

As for the actual topic, I get most of my lavarocks dumpster diving. PoK/Shadowhaven actually winds up with more than I would've thought. When I farm though, TS is the best I've found.

Comment

Enchanters

I get enchanted brellium 2 ways.

I pay someone to come and enchant ore for me. 10PP per large brick enchanted. Some will only do a couple 10 slot bags at a time, others will stay there as long as I can afford to pay them to enchant!!! :shock: I also buy them a fresh KEI in the nexus, or refund what they paid for one when they show up in Kaladim to enchant. (I always have them come to Kaladim, that way I can bind in front of the forge, and make bricks to blocks, and blocks to sheets at the same time.) WAY less hassle that way, and the ore merchant is only one zone over. I also buy them a copy of the spell, if they don't have it yet.

OR

I have a friend/guildmate enchant a bunch for me. I follow the same procedure here though. I buy the spell, if they don't have it. I provide the KEI, or a refund if they get one before they come to Kaladim.

I smith in spurts. I don't want to tax my friends and guildmates enchanters. If I ask them to enchant to often, they'll start running the other way!

So, I save up sheets and rings until I have a couple orders, then blow them all at once. It works, but it's REALLY slow going. *sigh*
                          Balkin Ironfist (Ominous Deeds)
                          56th Myrmidon of Brell Serilis
                          Xegony

"Every day of my life forces me to lower my estimate of the average IQ of the Human Race."

Comment

/em hugs his pocket chanter!

I bought a second account and rolled up a gnome enchanter primarily to get brellium enchanted when I wanted it. Since you have to get to 49 to enchant brellium it took a while. Now, having the enchanter as a duo-partner has really extended my experience possibilities as well. It's been a nice bonus.

Boleslav Forgheammer
                            Paladin of Brell in his 58th Campaign
                            E'ci - The Twilight Fellowship

Comment

Same here Bolesav, except I am only 28 at the moment with my Enchanter. I have kind of stopped all my tradeskills atm, just to get this guy (a gnome as well) up to level 49.

Having your own Enchanter is just heaven, for not only Smithing but the other trade skills as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X