Skills? Experience? Nah, I have KEI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skills? Experience? Nah, I have KEI!

(Note: A good deal of this will be paraphrased from my actual earlier post. I do have a photographic memory, it just suffers from overexposure =D)

KEI is fantastic for us tradeskillers, yes. 25 INT and WIS is nothing to sneeze at. Yet, it seems to be very good for casters.... and absolute freaking HELL for their groupmates.

See, KEI makes one feel as if they're invincible. They even think it makes them powerful enough to mention it in their LFG advertisment (27th level Wizard with KEI LFG). In short, they wield it as a massive crutch. However, we need to go through some basics right about now.

A: KEI does not make you invincible. It also doesn't make your groupmates invincible. It especially doesn't make your groupmates invincible if you decide to be puller and spend the entire fight nuking as a cleric.

B: KEI may make you powerful enough to solo, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever group. You lose very, very valuable grouping skills when you solo your Enchanter all the way to 50 and suddenly decide that KEI doesn't buff your mana pool enough anymore.

C: This, I cannot stress enough. KEI may make you feel ten levels tougher, but when you are grouped, DO NOT pull things you'll be pulling in ten levels! The rest of us mere mortals will be reduced to the consistency of chunky salsa in less time than it takes for invisibility to wear off.

D: When you have KEI, please keep in mind that just because you don't need med breaks, doesn't mean we don't need breaks. Especially your friendly neighborhood bard twisting her fool head off.

Bottom line: Every once and a while, try playing the game without your new binky, just to see if you can actually play your class.
    Former player of:

Ginea Leafspinner (Tailoring: 179); Xixsu Xikisci, the Culinary Reptile (Baking: 250 plus trophy!); Twenea Fairwinde (Brewing: 247)

Now player of:

Valanae S'Narystyn, Aspiring tradeskiller and apprentice Everquester

Bah, this isnt nearly as "KEI-IS-THE-DEVIL" as the old one.

So my rant defending it would seem out of place.

Sufficient to say, KEI is not the problem. Its the morons who decide that KEI makes them UBER, and that everyone should run faster to keep up to their speed.

The same morons who decide that a Fungi Tunic and a TStaff make them invincible, and then FD when they get too low on health.

The same morons who quad through your camp, leaving your with 4 or 5 angry Mobs. (And regardless of popular opinion, this is not restricted to Druids only.)

The same moron tanks who decide that taunting isn't really neccessary, leaving you with a dead cleric or wizard. (Or chanters, but they get Agro even when the mob IS taunted... <grin>)

Anyway, this version of your rant focuses much more on the people involved, and less on the "Evilness" of KEI.

So my original counter-rant wouldnt fit in much.

-Lilosh
    Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
    President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
    Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Re: Skills? Experience? Nah, I have KEI!

Originally posted by Traska
      B: KEI may make you powerful enough to solo, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever group. You lose very, very valuable grouping skills when you solo your Enchanter all the way to 50 and suddenly decide that KEI doesn't buff your mana pool enough anymore.
      The sad part is...you don't even NEED KEI to solo an enchanter to 50. Even the puny Breeze will work.
      Somnabulist Meisekimu
      70 days of Coercive noctambulism (and 364 rude awakenings).

Comment

Lilosh,

The rant's basic vent is the same =P The concentration always was the idiots. Even in the first draft. Although I will say I chose better wording on this one.

But KEI is still used as a massive, massive crutch. And it's annoyin'.
        Former player of:

Ginea Leafspinner (Tailoring: 179); Xixsu Xikisci, the Culinary Reptile (Baking: 250 plus trophy!); Twenea Fairwinde (Brewing: 247)

Now player of:

Comment

Its all about the regen ... Fungi tunic is the uber melee twink, KEI is the uber caster twink. Just you pay for KEI on the 2.5 to 4hour instalment plan.

uber twink + group rarely works. KEI has just finally extended this significantly to casters, where it seems even more problematic (mana regens more slowly, and has fewer means for being regained, for your non-uber twink groupmates than health does)

I'm one of those "doesn't like twinking" people ... and in that respect its "KEI IS THE DEVIL" bit ... but properly used, with a sane person behind the wheel, it benifits everyone around.

One thing that's unique with KEI - I've never seen 50+ people act so much like the lvl 5 twink before :P

Comment

Bottom line: Every once and a while, try playing the game without your new binky, just to see if you can actually play your class.
            I'm a chanter, it is my class /bonk

The same moron tanks who decide that taunting isn't really neccessary, leaving you with a dead cleric or wizard. (Or chanters, but they get Agro even when the mob IS taunted... <grin>)
            My /taunt skill isn't maxed ... i'm still 3 points below Vulak's hp count.

The same morons who decide that a Fungi Tunic and a TStaff make them invincible, and then FD when they get too low on health.
            I can do you one better... once had a level 60 warrior tell our raiding group at fear portal that with a fungi he could go into fear and solo all day.... sadly, he seriously believed it.

Comment

Quote:

I'm a chanter, it is my class /bonk
              At 60, yeah. But not at freaking 20. A 20th level caster with KEI is a danger to the whole zone they're in.

I have no problem with 42+ people having KEI. That's who the spell was designed for. I also have no problem with tradeskillers having KEI. When's the last time a baker aggrod too many skillups and had a bad run of Misty Thicket Picnics wipe out an entire zone?
              Former player of:

Now player of:

Comment

Originally posted by Traska
                When's the last time a baker aggrod too many skillups and had a bad run of Misty Thicket Picnics wipe out an entire zone?
                I'm having a bad day generally today.
                I would SO love to see this happen! :twisted:
                Ilona - Gwenae - Amarantha - Deandra - Minim

Comment

ROFL!!! That made me laugh. I can see it now "Train to Nexus zone - careful or the MTP's will jump you"
                  Idara Inari - nosy woodelf druid addicted to tradeskills
                  Baking 250, Brewing 250, Fishing 200, Pottery 224, Smithing 179, Jewelcraft 120, Tailoring 171, Fletching 167

Comment

Twinking is not the devil. KEI is not the devil. Idiots are the devil. All twinking or KEI does is allow someone who is an idiot to get in over their heads even more than they would normally.

I have run into just as many non-twinked idiots as I have twinked idiots. I've run into just as many dumbarse over nuking casters with KEI as I have without. Gear and buffs do not an idiot make. Its just as easy to be an intelligent player in very good gear for your level as it is to be an intelligent player in garbage gear. Playing the game naked does not make you a better player. It just means you have increased your chances of having an unpleasant experience. Why is it perfectly reasonable for a level 60 character to want the best possible gear they can aquire, but not reasonable for a level 30 character to want to do the same? Do you really think that having good gear automatically forces people to be inept? I don't think so.

Now, I'll admit that twinking and KEI can lead some people down the path of over confidence. However, I can't believe that you haven't run into over confident twits before who weren't twinked or KEIed. The biggest difference between twinked and non-twinked characters? The non-twinked are usually resentful and jealous of the twinked ones. Its the have nots resenting the haves.

I'm sorry but after 3 years of playing this game I just don't buy into the concept that if your gear or your buffs are too good for your level you suddenly will have no idea how to play your character. Nor do I buy into the concept that just because you're running around in raw-hide armor or a cloth robe that your insight into the game is greater than someone else's.

Comment

I'm sorry but after 3 years of playing this game I just don't buy into the concept that if your gear or your buffs are too good for your level you suddenly will have no idea how to play your character.
                      How about a 36th level Wizard who has 8never* fought without KEI, from level 1?

That's what I'm talking about. People who literally will *not* hunt without KEI. These are the people getting us killed.
                      Former player of:

Now player of:

Comment

I'm sorry but after 3 years of playing this game I just don't buy into the concept that if your gear or your buffs are too good for your level you suddenly will have no idea how to play your character.
                        I know, quoting the same phrase, but I have something to say about that.

I've only played the game 8 months or so, but I'd say that yes, with KEI I don't know how to play my character.

Let me explain... no no there is too much, let me sum up.

Did you ever see that cartoon with Mr. Wheeler and Mr. Walker played by Goofy?

Me with C3 = Mr. Wheeler
                        Me without C3 = Mr. Walker

For me, duration of KEI is exactly how long it takes me to bite off more than I can chew and get my uber buffed arse handed to me.

It made my 39 wizard able to solo mobs my 52 monk runs for the hills from... and still have Plenty of mana left over to fight another. Fighting a stonegrabber, rockhopper from DSP or a HG should at 'least' require all my mana, some decent kiting ability, and a lot of downtime.

It requires none of that with C3, root, snare, nuke, nuke nuke nukenukenuke, dead. Still have 60% mana, repeat, sit for 30 seconds, repeat.

The spell entirely unbalances the game, no way to hide it or coushion it, it just plain does. It should be level restricted like other Uber buffs, and you have to be 46 for it to be casted on you.

This is coming from a wizard who has not yet reached that level.

Comment

Fighting a stonegrabber, rockhopper from DSP or a HG should at 'least' require all my mana, some decent kiting ability, and a lot of downtime.
                          I see your point, to a degree. But let me ask you this, what exactly does down time accomplish? How exactly does sitting on your arse someplace waiting on mana to regen make you a better player? What is there about time spent regening mana that is inherently good?

I've leveled a Druid to level 52 with the vast majority of it being soloing. And this was before KEI was available. Yes, occassionally I would push the envelope and bite off a bit more than I could easily chew and have to do the run, sit, med, run, sit, med routine. It was more challenging, certainly. It required a bit more skill, I conceed. It certainly wasn't what I would define as 'fun'.

And then sitting around for 10 minutes afterwards allowing my mana to regen was just wasted time. I'm not accomplishing anything useful. I'm not enjoying myself. I'm solely marking time. I found it incredibly boring to be honest, which is one of the primary reasons I changed characters to a Warrior. Soloing was boring because it required so much down time and Druids weren't (at the time) very group friendly.

I would almost say it sounds like the people who have talkie movies available are upset because they didn't grow up with the good old silent screen...

Comment

It is level restricted. The only way to cast it on anyone below that is to use the group buff workaround, just like Aego. Anyone who has it on them who is lower than 42 or whatever it is, has it because someone *technically* cheated.

Having said that, I personally am glad they have left it in the game that way. Since I can get it and Aego on one of my lowbie characters and grab a DS potion and level about 4x as fast as I could otherwise, having only one account. Since I am only using my alts to generate cash or components for tradeskills anyway and I only solo in out of the way places, I see nothing wrong with it.
                            Arrakeen Naed'Shoj
                            Smith and Priest of Tunare's Blessings

Comment

And then sitting around for 10 minutes afterwards allowing my mana to regen was just wasted time. I'm not accomplishing anything useful. I'm not enjoying myself. I'm solely marking time. I found it incredibly boring to be honest,
                              Wizards have more 'downtime' than Druids by a long shot, because you can med during the fight with a dot going. Without dots, sitting and medding the mob is just regaining hitpoints while you med for another nuke. Also takes druids a lot longer to kill the Mob, but thats a different story.

Having said that, this is a Trade forum... Can't you be doing combines during that downtime?

While your in downtime, do those subcombines, or even make final products.

Last time I farmed silk, I brought my tailoring kit, mana vials, heady kiola... so I'd kill a few spiders, loot up... make a few Wu's while medding, repeat.

Other times I've made Fish rolls, liquid meat, etc.

It doesn't 'have' to be boring, and it is realistic. You were never meant to be able to chain cast without medding, its absurd. Under level 20 you can practically cast all your spells, and regain the mana spent in the casting time of the spell.

Comment

Working...
                              X