Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LDoN Smithing Vs Ench Vel Bits (Smithing 195-2XX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDoN Smithing Vs Ench Vel Bits (Smithing 195-2XX)

I am trying to raise my smithing from 195 to 250, and am looking at the LDoN smithing versus the enchanted velium bits. It looks like the velium bits is the way to go all the way to 227 if you don't fear farming the pieces, or paying for them. It would seem that the LDoN smithing is pretty expensive compared to the bits.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Is there a better route? I am a barb shaman of the tribunal if that matters....

Any help would be appreciated....

Mix

Xegony

LDoN Smithing will get you to 212, but you might just stop at 210 and do Ethereal Rings/Sheets to 212.

After that, most people (now) would do the EVB until it trivials.

From there, you can try Acrylia Plate (Essence of Wind & Windstones both are a PITA), Shadowscream (A shaman would have an easier time than I did farming the components) or Sickles (ugh).
    Angelsyn Whitewings, Cleric of Tunare for 66! Seasons.
    Grandmistress Smith - 300, Grandmistress Tailor - 300, Potter - 300, Jeweler - 300, Brewer - 200, Baker - 200, Fletcher - 200, Fisherwoman - 169
    Keyne Falconer, Paladin of Erollisi Marr for 66 Seasons.
    Grandmistress Baker - 300, Grandmistress Blacksmith - 300, Potter - 200, Brewer - 139, Tailor - 91

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I should clarify the situation a bit, I am a 65 shm and a 63 sk. I box them, but the SHM is the one I'm skilling up.

As for price/ease of work, which would you prefer? LDON to 210 or 212, or EVB from where I'm at now until 227 (the triv)? Is there a difference in the skill up rate between these two things? I did 15 ldon ones tonight and got 1 skill up. I can farm velium in CC, although it's boring as sin, but then again running all over pok encumbered making the sheets for ldon armour is boring as sin as well.

Thank you for the fast response, looking forward to knowing if there's a diff in how fast you skill up between these recipes...

Mix
      Angarr

Xegony

Comment

The trivial on EVBs are 222. The problem with the LDoN smithing is that you need to make the tempers off of dropped/foraged stuff in adventures. If you don't do a large number of them, then you have to buy them yourself, and that can get quite expensive. EVBs are a pain because you either have to pay rediculous prices for velium, or farm it yourself (however, it's much easier to farm velium than to farm gargoyle granite.) I'm doing the EVBs right now, and just hit 200. When I'm done with that, I'll be heading up to Hollowshade and start farming stuff for Shadowscream armor. That's a pain of a different color.

Comment

Kind of an on the side question - I looked at the recipe for ethereal sheets.. it says they triv at 212, but you can't attempt the combine until 220... what the heck?

Comment

210 skill + 5% geerlock = 220.5

So you can get skill points 211 and 212 on those with a Geerlock.

If you happen to be lucky enough to have a more than 5% smithing mod, you can go for them even sooner.
            Gaell Stormracer, Storm Warden of Tunare, United Kingdoms, Antonius Bayle

Comment

If you had a Druid, Ranger or Bard who was doing LDoN adventures (or was good friends with one), then getting Gargoyle Granite & such would be very easy and probably the best way to go.

Otherwise, EVB's tend to be cheaper once you get to the point where you have to be making Greaves/BP's for skill-ups.

P.S. Come by the Pit... er, the Xegony board here. We tend to be very friendly to new tradeskillers.

You can also hit us up on the tradeskill: tradeskill channel when you're playing.
              Last edited by Angelsyn; 03-10-2004, 05:20 AM.
              Angelsyn Whitewings, Cleric of Tunare for 66! Seasons.
              Grandmistress Smith - 300, Grandmistress Tailor - 300, Potter - 300, Jeweler - 300, Brewer - 200, Baker - 200, Fletcher - 200, Fisherwoman - 169
              Keyne Falconer, Paladin of Erollisi Marr for 66 Seasons.
              Grandmistress Baker - 300, Grandmistress Blacksmith - 300, Potter - 200, Brewer - 139, Tailor - 91

Comment

Since your a barb you could get a few mage friends you could go to seru and kill the one guy for the 10% skill mod item and do ethereal velium bits from 200 to 212.
                Taraddar SnowEagle

Comment

Which guy in Seru?

Comment

Praesertum Bikun

who drops

The cupcake is DONE! 1750!!! And 7 Trophies! And a fishing pole! That summons beer! Woo! And Tarteene, the enchanting gnomish tinkerer of the 247th bolt and one neato Tinkering Trophy

Butcherblock Oak Bark Map, hosted by Kentarre!
                    Reztarn's Guide to Finding Yew Leaves
                    Frayed Knot - The Rathe

Comment

Hey, I'm doing that right now!

I'm at 194 smithing right now. I've been doing the LDoN smithing route because I'm on a budget. I can often buy the tempers for 50 to 100pp, and I can sell the results for 200-300pp. I mostly make sand blasted armor, and I think I mostly sell to people who want to cheaply twink out a paladin or cleric. I keep a small and medium version of everything that requires two or more medium sheets of metal my the trader.

I tried enchanted velium bits for a while, but I didn't like it. I decided that if I'm going to use velium for trade skill improves I'll use it for tailoring, when I can sell the result for something.

Baody.

Comment

My personal choice -

I have a RL friend who is cleric. We Duo in Velks. He gets his shawl pieces and I get velium.

When we started he was level 58 and had 4th shawl. I was at 170 in smithing.

Now he is now 61 with 5th shawl and plenty of Velium for 8th Shawl when he gets to it and I am at 184 smithing. Selling gems and named drops has covered my EVB costs.

Along the way we have had many guildies come join us. Some in the 50 range for exp. Some for named drops. Some melee just for thrug gate potion compoents.

It has been some very laid back grouping with folks filling non normal roles. A hasted Druid with NDT meleeing was the funniest. All the while gaining exp (all be it very little at 65) but sure beats the exp I got farming greenie cats, wolves and bears for leather padding.

HOWEVER please chose whatever path you will... I hate encouraging compotition for my camps.
                        Breez
                        Loyal Rebellion

The views expressed above are ENTIRELY Breez's, and do not, nessecarily, represent the views of EQTraders.com, Users of this board, Citizens of Terris Thule errr Prexus, Tradeskillers or Enchanters every where.

Comment

I was trying those enchanted velium bits about two days ago. They got me up to 187, and then trivialled. I don't know if there's more than one type and I was making the wrong recipe, but I think maybe when they restored the coldain tempers, they also reworked this.

Comment

Every week or so someone forgets to put the Spell: enchant velium into the mix, makes regular velium bits instead.. and complains they nerfed the recipe. I just did another batch to 215.. and they're still not trivial.

For the ldon tempers, try doing the ec theme (rujarkian). Goblin bones drop more than the temper components in any other theme.

Comment

EVB's

On the enchanted velium bits...

I see the recipe uses the spell, enchant velium.

Is this the actual spell scroll??

I was under impresion that Id need a lvl 44 enchanter to enchant the bricks, but looking at recipe it doesn't say "enchanted velium bricks, but just two reg bricks.

Is this an error or do you actually put the scrol in the forge??

How much is the scroll, if so?

thx in advance

Comment

Working...
                              X