Imbued Black Sapphire = Gem Unobtainimum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imbued Black Sapphire = Gem Unobtainimum

I play on Stromm server and for quite some time ( ~ a month) has been trying to find a cleric of Bertoxxulous to imbue Black Sapphires for Fetid Heraldic armor. Several times a day I would do /who all cleric gnome/human and inquire people if I see new faces on the list. So far I found Bertox. cleric (gnome) once, about a couple of weeks ago, and have not seen him online since.
    Beside leveling an alt of my own to 29 just to cast a single spell a few times I am out of options.

One solution I suggest is that SoE should let Bertox necromancers to scribe this spell too. Necromancers can already imbue some "evil" PoP gems, so I don't think it will be that much out of line, while resolving the dead end in the path to Fetid Heraldic.

****ae, Human SK of beloved Bertoxxulous.
    Stromm.
    Last edited by Danka; 08-27-2003, 08:59 AM.

Sorry, my EQ name is getting filtered by this board

Comment

I've felt for a long time, that any caster of each deity should be able to imbue gems, not just priests.
      Tinile, 85th Druid of the Seventh Hammer
      1750 - 3/12/04, Still plugging away at 2100...
      Baking 300 | Blacksmithing 273 | Brewing 300 | Fletching 300 | Jewel Craft 300 | Pottery 300 | Tailoring 267

Namarie Silmaril, Enchantress of the 67th level
      Baking 135 | Blacksmithing 123 | Brewing 200 | Fletching 168 | Jewel Craft 250 | Pottery 199 | Spell Research 200 | Tailoring 165

Mumtinie, cute little mage of the 61st level
      Tinkering 243 | Research 201 | Tailoring 110 | Blacksmithing 104 | Pottery 76

Comment

any caster = enc/wis/mag/nec? or anyone with a mana bar?

just because sometimes the term gets used in either context, doesn't hurt to ask for clarity.

ENC can chant metal... maybe gems were held back from them for balance?

MAG need gems for pets... maybe imbues held back to constrain confusion? ("oops, accidentally imbued that gem that i needed for pet!")

WIZ... they nuke things, really hard. Imbuing a gem seems... to use an un-PC phrase, 'too much like woman's work for a mighty wizard'.

NEC i have the least experience with.

not that i'm trying to say E/W/M/N shouldn't get these spells, just trying to think of why maybe they haven't so far.

-- sanna
        Mistress Tinkbang Tankboom - Ak'Anon, Tarew Marr
        Gneehugging Chantaranga of the 66th Mez Break - AA:59
        Assisted by Nakigoe Sennamida, Druidess of 65 Foraged Steamfont Springwaters - AA:8
        Quartic, Darkie Wizzy of 52 Self-Snares - Best Crit: 1680.
        [BK-210 // BR-250 // BS-203 // FL-200 // JC-240 // PT-200 // TL-200 ]---[ TK-179 // RS-182 // FS-165 ]-- Points: 1503/1750 -- Shawl: EIGHT and wearing it ^_^.
        Icon by Kenshingentatsu

Comment

Enchanters, Necros and Magicians all get Imbue spell at the Pop levels, so why not let them do some old world stuff as well?

Let a Berx necro imbue the black sapphire. Let a Mith Marr magician (me) imbue diamonds. etc etc

Comment

I hope you have checked the Stromm forum on this very site A point of note is that when the *Mass* Enchant/Imbue spells were put in game a few weeks ago, there as a short period during which the imbue spells were not deity restricted. Some lucky tradeskillers managed to pick up all the mass imbue spells then, so check your server board / tradeskill channel and you might get lucky.
            Nichola Smith
            Archon of Erollisi Marr
            Tunare

Comment

Perhaps the reason the diety imbues are restricted to the priest classes is because those are the classes that do diety oriented magic, hence the term 'priest'.

PoP imbues aren't relevant, since they aren't diety oriented, are they.

Comment

I'm all for cross-class interdependence and stuff, but certain combinations are just too rare and of those that are rare, people willing to spend the time it takes to do imbues are even rarer. Not to mention those lucky enough to get drop-only gems like Black Sapphires. These were rare enough back when folks hunted in places that dropped them. Now that most folks won't leave POP "Because the EXP is soooo good!", and the only gems that drop there are blue diamonds and diamonds, it's getting much much harder to do certain trades.

Which are hard to begin with. I'm a high elf mage smith, with an enchanter husband, and a tunare druid alt. As it is, it takes me a week of no hunting to prepare 20 combines of my cultural armor. I can't imagine trying to do all that without having handy a smith, enchanter, priest, and vendor-buyable gems. Take away any one of those from me and I would have given up smithing in disgust.

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE that blue diamonds and diamonds drop in POP zones! And indirectly it's benefited me because folks are willing to hunt in my beloved kunark dungeons when they need those other gems.

So to sum up, the mass imbue gem spells helped a LOT in taking away the tedium of imbuing gems. But it's still just as hard to find folks willing to do the imbues for you, especially with nodrop spells so you not only have to drag the priest to EC with you, but also cough up the 85pp per spell you want them to cast. Would be great if anyone who worships a deity could imbue gems for them. I suppose you'd need to limit it to folks with a spell book, but why couldn't a warrior be pious enough to imbue gems?

Falcon’s Pride @ The Nameless

Destiny of the Free @ the Oasis

Comment

Wizards get Imbue Fire Opal. This is because the Fire Opal is the gem of Solusek Ro, and as conduits of pure raw power, wizards are the closest thing Solusek Ro has to priests.

It should be noted that the PoP imbues are all elemental imbues. The caster takes the element of the plane in question and infuses it into a raw diamond. The traditional imbues take elements of divine power from a deity and imbue it into the gemstone. While the game mechanics are similar, the in-game metaphysics are quite a bit different.

Comment

Game metaphysics.... sort of like, i can stack 20 folded sheets of metal into a single spot in my bag but I can only put one little silver ring in that same spot?

I understand what you're saying, however there have been other tradeskill "improvements for convenience" that don't make any sense if I think about it, such as stacking pelts and sheets vs. small pieces of jewelry. Why does a ring that I wear on my finger take up as much space as smithed greaves?

While the right combination for the imbue you need may not be particularly rare, it's still a challenge to find a person willing to do the imbuing. And the balance is WAY off. For every 50 high elf clerics i bump into, i see MAYBE 1 gnome cleric. How many of them are good, and how many are evil? And by the time you find the right version, how many of THOSE are going to sit there for 2 hours to imbue gems for you?

My point is simply that the multiple scarcities in some cases make tradeskilling much more painful than it already is. Things are hard enough on me, when I have access to everything i need.

What ends up happening is, folks level up "imbuing mules" whose entire duty in Norrath is imbuing gems. This does not encourage class interdependence, although it does encourage worse and worse cases of Multiple Account Disorder.

Oh. Maybe that's why they did it.

Falcon’s Pride @ The Nameless

Destiny of the Free @ the Oasis

Comment

I don't think Stromm forum works on this very site Nichola...

Comment

Here's what I think stacks the odds against finding a cleric of Bertox:

- non-RP players (majority of the player base) would pick the race for stats (thus no humans or gnomes here)
                        - most RP clerics prefer to be "good" (healer and such)
                        - most "evil" inclined players pick "evil" class (like necro)
                        - the small left minority of "evil" players that want to be a cleric tend to pick an "evil" race, DE, and thus follow innorruk.
                        - Bertox cleric is picked by really odd mental cases that don't fall into all of the above. One 29+ cleric on a whole server? c'mon, give me a life!

Comment

Originally posted by Danka
                          Here's what I think stacks the odds against finding a cleric of Bertox:

- non-RP players (majority of the player base) would pick the race for stats (thus no humans or gnomes here)
                          My 49 cleric (almost 50) in Innoruuk, Milletoux, is a Bertoxxulous gnome cleric. She is also an excellent cleric, with 255 wisdom, decent strength and stamina, and good all-around stats. With proper equipment choices, a gnome can be as good a cleric as any other class. True, I see very few OTHER gnome clerics, but I think this is a highly underrated combination.

(Not to mention that Milletoux is one of those lucky few who scribed ALL the imbue spells ... worthwhile even for that).

My best EQ friend was, until she deleted her character a few weeks ago due to EQ burnout, a human 65 cleric of Erollisi Marr with oodles of AA. The second and third highest level clerics in our guild are also humans.

Less favorable starting stats can EASILY be fixed by proper equipment choices.

- most RP clerics prefer to be "good" (healer and such)
                          - most "evil" inclined players pick "evil" class (like necro)
                          Don't think of good and evil as black and white ... I think of Bertoxxulous as a major shade of gray. It's also much more fun to play in that range, IMHO.

- the small left minority of "evil" players that want to be a cleric tend to pick an "evil" race, DE, and thus follow innorruk.
                          I had a DE Innoruuk cleric I got to 37 before I retired her and made Milletoux. Had no real idea how to play her -- a healer of the God of Hate? I can play a shadowknight of Innoruuk easily enough, but I found the dichotomy of playing a truly evil cleric getting pick-up groups with lighties not very compelling. I sort of played her like a pampered princess from a DE noble family who liked the perks of going along with the job but who was not very pious.

On the other hand, Milletoux is VERY easy to roleplay. I truly enjoy the idea of playing a gnome from the "wrong side of the tracks" as it were ... a very intelligent gnome who chose her own, very different path from the majority of gnomehood. Her theory of being a cleric of the god of disease is very simple (probably applicable to the DE cleric as well but I never got into that): she heals her party because they serve her purpose for the moment and keeping them vertical will keep HER alive. Her heal message: "Healing Soandso ... it would be much more fun to watch his wounds turn gangrene first, but we just don't have the time!"

Her one sorrow in life is that she can only cure disease, not inflict it (she wants to do the Initiate Symbol of Bertoxxulous quest someday but I've just had her hell-bent on getting levels) but she consoles herself that diseases are a gift from her lord Bertoxxulous and it is her trial to cure them, not bestow them. She views a case of the crud or rabies as a blessing and cures herself only as a last resort. (Used to have great fun proclaiming the "joy of the crud" to the masses in Paludal).

She loves philosophical arguments about gods, especially when people argue that their god is superior to hers. After all, no matter what god you follow, in the end your matter will rot and decay, so Bertoxxulous is always the god to which you return. Unlike my rather unpious DE cleric who mostly enjoyed the free cleric parking, Milletoux embraces and preaches her faith every day.

- Bertox cleric is picked by really odd mental cases that don't fall into all of the above. One 29+ cleric on a whole server? c'mon, give me a life! [/B]
                          I guess I'm one of those "odd mental cases" then. I really like playing class/race/religion combinations that are unusual. I know a DE shadowknight isn't exactly USUAL, but female DE shadowknights are, at least -- and Zera was my first character, so give me a break. (Also forget the halfling druid. There is no such thing as an unsual race/class combination for a druid). I also have a female halfling ranger and a female gnome rogue, which are not common either.

So, at least there is one gnome cleric of Bertoxxulous on Innoruuk. Can't help you on Stromm.

...Zera
                          Last edited by Zeralenn; 08-28-2003, 07:18 AM.
                          Baroness Zeralenn Mancdaman - 58 Dark Elven SHD - Smithing (214)
                          Baroness Milletoux Fleau'chevilles - 66 Gnome CLE (Epic) - Tinkering (222), Pottery (215)
                          Csimene Penombra - 64 Human MAG (Epic) - Brewing (250) (Trophy), Tailoring, Smithing, Pottery, Research, Fletching, Jewelcraft & Baking (200)

Comment

"I guess I'm one of those "odd mental cases" then."

We all kinda knew that already…

I think his point was that Stromm attracts more of the min-maxers than a normal server might. So it's even LESS likely to find that Bert-Gnome on Stormhammer, unless you happen to know the last person to twink one up to 29 for imbues.

Boleslav Forgehammer
                            Paladin of Brell in his 65th Campaign
                            E'ci – Sacred Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by Boleslav
                              "I guess I'm one of those "odd mental cases" then."

We all kinda knew that already…

I think his point was that Stromm attracts more of the min-maxers than a normal server might. So it's even LESS likely to find that Bert-Gnome on Stormhammer, unless you happen to know the last person to twink one up to 29 for imbues.
                              Zera's on Inny. I'm the dark elf SK smith on stormhammer who's a mental case thanks

Of course, I have a prexus cleric (don't ask me why). And an imbuedr00d.

From a 'roleplay' standpoint, giving knights imbues makes sense. I don't sya that just because I play one with a pretty hefty mana pool either. Really.

Imbues are just a flat out pain, but no worse than mana vial$.

Comment

Working...
                              X