Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Ornate Chain Armor Released with EQ Classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Ornate Chain Armor Released with EQ Classic?

Hi guys,

I have a question for you old school smiths there. I need to know if Ornate Chain Armor was introduced during EQ Classic (prior to 2002) or if it came out later on with one of the expansions. I am pretty sure it was a EQ classic recipe but I need confirmation. Can anyone can answer that?

Thanks
    Last edited by WEB11; 03-20-2010, 01:02 PM.

By my recollection, I was using it to skill up during Kunark era, so it is certainly that old. I am trying to connect it to something prior to Kunark, but for the moment anyways, I only have my location to connect it to.

As an Erudite Wizard, I made the stuff in Kelethin, since it either had all the materials close at hand, or was a shorter stagger with a pack full of metal from forge to vendor (metal sheets and rings stacked, ore did not, so it was a lot of trips back and forth).

Comment

Xerius,

That is kind of what I remember as well, I used to make Ornate Chain to skill up during the Kunark era. But I need some kind of proof or reliable testimony that it existed before Kunark.

Comment

A couple of dates:

From Lucy, History. First Live entry 12-22-2002
        First Test entry 01-02-2004

Interesting that the Test data is later than the Live data

Comment

Originally posted by Paloverde View Post
          A couple of dates:
          From Lucy, History. First Live entry 12-22-2002
          That is the same date for banded and fine plate. Probably because lucy was created arround that date I am assuming.

One thing I was thinking after looking at this list of recipes is that it seems that Kunark didn't add any new trade skills recipes and while Velious did add new recipes, pretty much all of them used Velium. Wouldn't that make Ornate Chain a classic recipe?

This is so intriguing...
          Last edited by WEB11; 03-21-2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

That is where the history starts though, since until Ornate Chain and Fine Steel Plate showed up, the highest Smithing Trivial was 176 (maybe 167) for Banded Cloaks. With Ornate Chain, the Banded trivials were lowered and Ornate Chain took over the old high end Banded trivial range, with Fine Steel Plate being the way to get over 200 skill.

The problem is that nobody really keeps records that far back. I can recall a few things about the time period, as I was active on a Smithing website at the time that folded after Velious came out, so I can be certain that Ornate Chain came out at or before Velious, and since Velium Smithing pushed skills over 250 for the first time, we can be certain that Ornate Chain was before Velious, as it (and Fine Steel Plate) were the way to get to the cap of 250 at that time.

The problem is that, outside of jotted notes that I obviously saw no reason to put dates on, I only have anecdotal evidence of any part of this. I know what I was doing when I was making Ornate Chain for skill, I know I was using Firiona Vie for making metal for Fine Steel Plate after I no longer could gain skill from Ornate Chain, and I have faint recollections of forum posts from the Smithing forum comparing Highpass with Faydark for the least number of steps from an ore source to a forge (for those who loaded up their packs with ore and crawled to the nearest forge; I was fortunate enough to have a Box of AbuKar for that purpose).

I have kept a lot of my oldest notes though, so there is always the chance that I will run across at some point notes on Smithing on the same page as notes about some timed event that I can then assume must have happened about the same time.

Comment

Thungs that make you go hmmm....

1. I don't remember seeing Ornate Chain or Fine Plate when my original characters were getting equipped way back when.
              2. I remember Banded being my best option (I couldn't handle the weight of Bronze).
              3. The oldest comment in Alla's about an Ornate Chain is December 2000, "Where can I get this?"

My Prima's Official Strategy Guide for Everquest: Ruins of Kunark reveals:
              4. The skill cap for Trade Skills was still 100
              5. Most banded armor was trivail at 100
              6. Armor options above banded were Bronze, Blackened Iron, and Steel

Unfortunately, I don't have the guide for Scars of Velious.
              6 Wikipedia shows that Kunark was released 24 Apr 2000.
              7 Wikipedia shows that Velious was released 5 Dec 2000.

Based on all the above, I think that Ornate Chain came out with Scars of Velious.
              Trophies: Fr-2 Jour-4 Exp-8 Mast-6 GM-29

Comment

Originally posted by Xerius View Post
                I have kept a lot of my oldest notes...
                This reminded me of my notes, which consist of printed web pages, with printer applied dates.

From pages printed 3/26/00 I have K. C.'s Guide to Blacksmithing. (Looks like this came from his/her own website.) "Once you are trivial at sewing kits, the only way to increase your skill, is to make banded cloaks and mantles. Those will take you to 168."

From pages printed 10/15/00 I have "Blacksmithing - Smithing Combinations" (source: eq.Castersrealm) In categories, this begins with metal bits through Banded armor and ends with Fine Plate items. Note: no Ornate Chain.

I never made any of the Ornate armor. So, it does not surprise me that in my notes Ornate and the various versions of it do not appear until 2/23/03.
                Last edited by Paloverde; 03-21-2010, 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling, clarification and citing source

Comment

Good, that narrows things down very well and may not give an exact date that Ornate Chain showed up, but at least narrows it down to original EQ (if it showed up before April 2000) or Kunark, since you have Fine Steel Plate showing prior to Velious. As ell, if it did show up in original EQ, it was around for less than a month before Kunark, which makes it less likely. Paineel was added to the game around February 2000, so would it be likely that a major tradeskill patch would have happened less than a month later?

168 on Banded Cloaks matches what I found in my own notes and happily is close enough to my 167 that I feel better about my aging memory. My brief claim to fame in the tradeskill community was as the person who first found the trivial point on Banded Cloaks and for a couple of weeks, I was the only one who made them on Veeshan, although that was prior to Bloody Kithicor, which was October 1999. 176 was then the lowest point for Fine Steel Plate at the time, with Ornate Chain sitting in the middle, and since it required Gold Bars to make anything in that narrow range, it is probably not surprising that you would not have it on your list, as the sheets of metal for Fine Steel Plate were a lot cheaper, although they were slower due to the need to make the Folded Sheets and the time needed to farm materials for the Leather Padding.

As to Prima's Guide, I bought it, but it had so many errors in it, I would not really trust it as a source of information. Tradeskills started out capped at 200, although for a lot of tradeskills, there were no trivials at or over 200, so you could not get to the cap.

Comment

I am 99% sure that ornate chain was introduced after fine plate. When I finished banded the only option I had for skill ups at the time past that was fine steel plate. I think the first group of cultural might have even been in before ornate chain.

Comment

Ornate Chain with silver bar (max 142 triv for BP) works on Fippy server but electrum bar not working. Didn't try gold or platinum bar recipes. Hope these get added soon thanks =)
                      Asolandri's Gear
                      300 Tailor +15% + Mastery Rk3
                      300 Baker +12%
                      300 Fletcher +15%
                      300 Jeweller +15% + Mastery Rk3
                      300 Smith +15% + Mastery Rk3
                      300 Brewer +12%
                      300 Potter +12% + Mastery Rk3
                      Salvage 3
                      ----2100 Club 8/9/07 (Wood Elf/Ranger/Erollisi Marr)

300 Tinker +12%
                      300 Alchemist +15%
                      300 Spell Research +12%
                      ----3000 Club 9/28/08

Comment

I thought I had tried Ornate on Fippy with negative results. Perhaps I only tried one recipe. Guess I will confirm your results when servers return.

When I played on Tallon Zek back in the day, I levelled an alt to get high smithing using a mix of Hi-Elf cultural and plate after maxing the banded, this was around Vellious I believe. When AAs for additional tradeskills over 200 was available, I used the ornate path for my main.

I know the ingredients are available, but does the Blessed Sickle Blade (triv 183) work yet? I believe its cheaper than doing Plate and you dont need Leather Padding....Like Wu's, Plate has limited market value due to Newbie Armor quests.

Comment

The Blessed Sickle was part of the Protection of the Cabbage quest, so it is easy to pin down a date range on when that went into the game. The Protection of the Cabbage quest started with a series of books that dropped, each containing a recipe. When all the recipes were found and made, the resulting items could be turned in to an NPC in Fungus Grove for the spell and an earring. Since the Protection of the Cabbage quest was added after the expansion, it has to have been put into game after Luclin release, and since it was one of the first items to have mana regen, it has to have been put into game before Planes of Power, since that expansion added several items with mana regen on them.

Comment

I am guessing the goal of the thread is to find out what can be made and when on the progression servers. Clearly there are some things that follow the historic timeline, yet others dont. All of the guides and lists on eqtraders are geared for non-progression servers that have everything available through the most current expansion. So they are not as good for Progression Servers.

My question is not when did the Blessed sickle recipe become active (it was prolly Luclin), my question is can i do it now on Fippy that is not even at Kunark expansion yet. I have made the gemless chain smithing combine for the solstice robe, and everyone is making Misty Thicket Picnics, so I know some of the PotC is active already.

I levelled my main to 132 smithing using cultural needles that dont even play until LoY for most races.
                            Last edited by Buddi; 05-13-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Escaping Capture

Comment

Working...
                              X