Guide to Tailoring & Smithing with a Draught of the Craftsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to Tailoring & Smithing with a Draught of the Craftsman

I haven't found what I'm about to post anywhere else, but if it is duplicate information, or just common knowledge, then I apologize in advance. Also this may not be super organized, but I'm happy to evolve this if it proves useful, based on feedback.

Having recently returned to the game after a ~12 year absence, and with substantially less time to play, I was curious if I could figure out a way to max out some tradeskills quickly AND cheaply (generally those two are mutually exclusive). I had read some posts about how to use a Draught of the Craftsman to 'fail' your way to max skill. I know this potentially involves real life money, so some may not like the 'pay to win' aspect of it, but it is what it is. Anyway, I set out to try to optimize a path to max skill.

The goal I had was: at any given skill level, I want to make the least expensive recipe possible that still only gives me a 5% chance of success.

For tailoring, I made the following (note that these skill levels were all 'modified' by my tailoring trophy, which was only at 1% for most of this run - more on that later).

All of these were xxxx Leather Gloves Template, using a pelt of the following types, followed by the number of combines of each type that i had prepared (the pelt, filament, tanning chemicals, and leather glove pattern).

**Note that the number you'll need is highly depending on your 'primary stat', which in my case was over 500. If you are below 415 in your primary stat, you won't skill up as fast and may need more materials. The advanced calculator here is what I used to predict how many I would need**

Rough to 73 skill (2)
    Flawed to 102 skill (3)
    Pristine to 130 skill (4)
    Fine to 159 skill (5)
    Excellent to 187 skill (8)
    Superb to 216 skill (13)
    Flawless to 244 skill (15)
    Exquisite to 273 skill (20)
    Immaculate to 300. (51)

Using the advanced calculator on this site, these are the points at which each recipe stops having 5% chance of success. You can continue to make any given recipe past the skills I listed, but you'll start to succeed more, which will end up costing you a bit more. I did this on the cheaper recipes because I had pre-bought the filaments and figured I would just use them up. I spent a week or so with a buyer up buying the pelts I would need (plus about 50% extra to account for bad luck), so I would have everything I needed before I started.

I set up a trade satchel with everything I would need ahead of time, so I wouldn't have to buy anything or look up recipes online while my potion was ticking down. Oh, I also did both Tailoring and Smithing at the southern tradeskill building in the Plane of Knowledge (the small bank).

In my case, for tailoring, the RNG was quite kind to me at the higher end, and I ended up only using around 35 Immaculate pelts/filaments, and hit 300 with about 15 minutes left on my potion. (I used those 15 minutes to get to around 160 smithing).

I did the exact same thing the following day for smithing, except I made Chain Glove Templates, and the RNG was less kind: I ended up needing 65 Vanadium / coal and hit 300 with about 25 seconds left on my potion!

For smithing, I made the following, with roughly the same quantities on hand as I did for tailoring:

Fulginate to 73 skill
    Rubicite to 102 skill
    Indium to 130 skill
    Rhenium to 159 skill
    Tungsten to 187 skill
    Cobaltto 216 skill
    Titanium to 244 skill
    Tantalum to 273 skill
    Vanadium to 300.

I didn't keep excellent records about how much I spent, but it was less than 20k for tailoring (including buying the pelts - most of which were bought with my buyer for less than 5pp each). Smithing cost a little more, but only because I was pretty unlucky with skill ups and successes, and used
    14 more vanadium/brimstone coal than I predicted.

I didn't pay really close attention, but I did notice that my Beginner tailoring trophy did not start to evolve until sometime after around 250 skill. I assumed this is because I was making recipes too far above my skill. By the time I finished, it had evolved into a level 5 trophy, so, still a lot more work to do to get it up, but since it only evolves with successful combines, I knew this was going to be a trade off of getting to 300 this way.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone who is looking for a bit of advice on how exactly to attack these two skills when using a crafting potion.
    Last edited by Zari; 06-17-2014, 08:00 AM. Reason: typos

I actually just did this on a toon. I managed to get from ~150 in tailoring and ~160 in smithing to 300 in each (but not bothering to max the trophies) with just one Draught of the Craftsman. I used the new alternate recipes for cultural armor and I used less than 1.5 stacks each of animal pelts and ore. Because I had the pelts and ore, this approach cost me less than 500pp and it generated thousands in tribute. Yes, I had to have lots of big bags and every single slot open because the results don't stack in order to keep moving, and I did also dump some into my bank inventory and shared bank to keep moving as well. This approach combined with the new make all and I was max skill very quickly, very cheaply.
    Aanuvane Bristlecone - Druid - Povar via Quellious via Rodcet Nife
    AKA Muertenie, Melodee, Orelinde, Nounie, Gnomess, Cininea Ashryn, Mairede or a host of additional alts. Maybe also be found on Rabon, Kynsh or Atracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Aanuvane View Post
      I actually just did this on a toon. I managed to get from ~150 in tailoring and ~160 in smithing to 300 in each (but not bothering to max the trophies) with just one Draught of the Craftsman. I used the new alternate recipes for cultural armor and I used less than 1.5 stacks each of animal pelts and ore. Because I had the pelts and ore, this approach cost me less than 500pp and it generated thousands in tribute. Yes, I had to have lots of big bags and every single slot open because the results don't stack in order to keep moving, and I did also dump some into my bank inventory and shared bank to keep moving as well. This approach combined with the new make all and I was max skill very quickly, very cheaply.
      Which recipes did you use, specifically? I don't know a whole lot about cultural crafting (yet).

Comment

I used Elegant Bounder Cuirass (which is only available through the alternate cultural recipes, but other classes have alternate recipes too) and Elegant Farsight Gloves (again, the alternate recipe). The results tribute for 750 points each.

Not all the alternate recipes are in the database yet. You can buy Compendium on XXX Cultural Crafting from Culturalist Devari to learn all the alternate recipes. He also sells the artisan materials, cultural needles and cultural hammers (among many other items).
        Aanuvane Bristlecone - Druid - Povar via Quellious via Rodcet Nife
        AKA Muertenie, Melodee, Orelinde, Nounie, Gnomess, Cininea Ashryn, Mairede or a host of additional alts. Maybe also be found on Rabon, Kynsh or Atracker.

Comment

While I haven't used a potion I have used the new recipes to skill up. Most of my alts wear cultural so I make the armor they wear without being anywhere near the skill needed. If my skill and trophy are really low I'll add a geerlok. While I do go through 20 or 30 hides/ore or more to make a 6 piece set of armor, I get several skill ups and the armor to wear. I do use banded/cured/wu's to get them above 100, and making the sewing kits can be a challenge if I try to early. It works quite well, and isn't that expensive, and doesn't cost any $$, just plat. I use my main to make the symbols and if high enough, seals.

Comment

I'm still learning. This approach combined with the new make-all and I was max skill very quickly, very cheaply.

Comment

Working...
            X