JC for confused newbies and returning veterans -- How-to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JC for confused newbies and returning veterans -- How-to

I decided I wanted to learn Jewelry making on my enchanter....

I was quite able to find "quick trivial lists" and such, but not able to find anything that explained the basic system of how jewelcrafting works these days.

I have discovered that since I came back to EQ ... everything I ever knew about jewelcrafting is now wrong. The guides on EQTC could also use some work. So I set out to learn more. This is what I have learned so far (PLEASE post additions and corrections, and I will edit this as it becomes more accurate).

-----

Old school jewel crafting:

All of the old world enchanted metal recipes you know and love are gone (things like the Golden Jaded Bracelet).
    You can still use *unenchanted* metal/gem combinations to level up your tradeskill ability, but the enhanted ones no loner combine. (thanks to Shadrok for that tip)

Today all of the general jewelry is made as a setting and cut gems - not a final product (explained later).

As far as I know, the "newer" recipes from the PoP expansion forward still work (unconfirmed), but people aren't bothering to make them.

-----

How it's generally done today:

Part 1 - SETTINGS

Tools:

There are currently three settings available: Solo, duo, and trio.
    You buy the solo setting tool from a vendor.
    The duo setting tool comes from putting a solo tool in your kit by itself and hitting combine.
    The trio setting tool comes from putting a duo tool in your kit by itself and hitting combine.
    Once you have these tools, you don't need more - they are not used up in the combine.
    As far as I know, these tools cannot be destroyed on a fail (unconfirmed).
    The setting determines how many gems may be put into an item, and therefore how powerful the item may be.
    Further...a setting may be given an additional type 7 augmentation slot by adding a vial of (some type of) mana to the mix.

-----------------------

Molds:

The setting you wish to make will require a mold (like a ring mold).
    As far as I know, all molds are purchased off tradeskill vendors.
    The mold determines what slot (face, wrist, finger, ear, neck) will apply to the item created.

-----------------------

Metals:

METALS NEED TO BE ENCHANTED to make items with stats.
    Unenchanted metals may be used to make practice items, but these have no stats, won't take gems, and cannot be equipped.
    Some higher level metals (dwerium) are created by a sub-combine involving bought and dropped parts (see recipes - EQTC).

The metal you choose will determine (for the most part) what level player will most benefit from that item.
    The benefit scales with level until the *metal* won't allow the gems set into it to be any more powerful.

Example...

Silver: level 1 - 85 will see the same wee stats off these items
    Electrum: level 1 - 85 will see the same slightly-better-than-silver stats off these items.
    Gold: 1-5 sees no stats, 6-9 sees some stats, 10-12 sees more stats, 13+ sees max stats gold will allow...etc.

This means THE EXACT SAME GEM will steadily gain power as it is put into higher and higher metal settings.

Remember, adding a vial of some type of mana to the combine here will add an additional type 7 aug slot to the item (and up the trivial requirement, and your risk of failure, etc.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 2 - GEMS

Today, gems are looted off mobs and/or purchased off vendors (a few may be quest rewards, I don't know if any can be foraged.)

They are then cut by jewelcrafters.

Gems MUST be cut before they can be placed into settings.

Cutting gems may require a jeweler's glass -- this tool is also made by jewelcrafters (recipe is on EQTC).

The square cut tool is purchased off vendors OR made by putting a trio setting tool into your kit and hitting combine.
    The next cutting tools up the chain are made by placing the previous one into your kit and pressing combine, as explained above.

If a gem may be cut more than one way, the cut of the gem determines what stats it provides.
    For example, Jade currently has one known cut (round) and provides intelligence.
    Harmonagate may be cut many different ways and produces many different stat combinations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 3 - YOU DO NOT MAKE JEWELRY!

Now that you have your settings and your cut gems, you are done, unless you plan to wear the item yourself.

I know that seems strange, but YOU (the jewelcrafter) want to sell your EMPTY settings and cut gems to other players.

THEY (the toons who wish to equip the items), will take the settings and gems to the augmentation pool (birdbath) and insert the gems into the settings just like augmentations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 4 - Things to tell your customers

1) Inserting cut gems into a setting attunes the entire item to that character (NO-TRADE!)

2) As the toon levels, he will probably want to safely remove the gems using the appropriate augmentation distiller and put them into higher level metal settings which allow the gems to become more powerful.

3) ALWAYS insert gems which will ONLY go into one slot BEFORE gems that can fit into multiple slots.
    For example, some gems will go into slots 10 or 11...but others only go into slot 10. If you put the dual gem in first, it will default to slot 10 instead of 11, and "lock out" your other gem which cannot fit slot 11.

4) Be aware that some gems and a lot of type 7 augmentations in the game have level requirements of their own ...No matter if you are the right level for the metal setting or not, if you are too low for the gem/augment, inserting them into your jewelry will make the ENTIRE piece useless to you until you meet that higher level requirement.

5) Old settings become worthless (except possibly for tribute) once you pull out the gems to put them into better settings.

6) You cannot have two of the exact same gem in the same setting, even if they would fit the slots.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Araeshkigal; 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM. Reason: updating with Shadrok's information.

Not all gone

All of the old "enchanted" recipes are gone. However, you can still make the old "unenchanted" jewlery for skilling purpoes.

Combine one unenchanted electrum, silver, gold, platinum, or velium bar with a gem to make the "practice" jewelry.
    Trophies: Fr-2 Jour-4 Exp-8 Mast-6 GM-29

Comment

I'm sorry, you are correct - for the purposes of leveling up, the recipes using unenchanted metals and gems still work.
      I've also found out that the "prophecy of ro" recipes which use *specific* cut gems mixed with various metals and possibly molds still work.

Comment

Originally posted by Araeshkigal View Post
        5) Old settings become worthless (except possibly for tribute) once you pull out the gems to put them into better settings.
        The old settings are tradeable once you pull out the gems. Only the gems are attuned.

Comment

Working...
        X