New Jewel Crafting Skillups broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing the happy chanter dance!!

5 hours later, the refined nihilite popped into my inventory. Amber and Crimson. All were returned at rate of 2/1 . I'm so happy.

Now another question? The emerald and the opal. I notice on the spead sheet the nice person posted, that there is no name for the uncut version of each. Do I assume that I can cut any old emerald and opal I have on hand? Or do I need to farm uncut ones? Same with jade, jasper, pearl, peridot and some of the other legacy gems.

Can they be cut and used in Dwerium slots 10 and or 11?

Meindkandy
    65 Chanter (slowly regaining her sanity)
    And I am a HER even though my toon is a HIM (blink blink blink)
    What WAS I thinking?

Comment

You can cut the plain-old vendor sold emeralds and opals, along with any of the other vendor-sold gems. If a gem doesn't have an entry in the "uncut gem" column, it means the gem name is what you need.
      Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
      Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
      Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
      Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Originally posted by Flehmen View Post
        If I remember correctly, at the time the break even point was adjusted to about 200 combines before manual refining broke even with just doing the turn in. So if you think you'll do more than 200 turn-ins, do the quest, if not, just hand them in. (My search didn't turn up the appropriate thread, so if anyone has some link loven', much appreciated)
        I don't have a link...but:
        For the first 80-100 combines you get 1+1 back (it seems to vary with different tradeskills and I don't know the exact number for JC, but it will be more than 80 but less than 100).
        Then another 60 combines before you have a chance of getting 2+1
        Then, 240 more combines (with an increasing chance of getting 3) before you reach the point where you get a gauranteed 3.
        The break even point should be around 250 range (first 80-100 you are losing, next 60 you match the npc return, then another 80-100 where you exceed npc return to balance the losses from the first 80-100). You can shift the odds in your favor by refining a nihilite you don't care about (Amber) for your first 80-100, then you will never be risking getting less than 2 on one you DO care about.
        Not having to run to Abysmal everytime you want to refine makes doing these definitely worthwhile.

Comment

I think I broke it!!

(sigh) Although Kyro says I should be able to cut any of the listed vendor sold gems, like jade, pearl, bloodstone, etc etc. None of them are working for me. Say I can't combine in this container, (paraphrased). I have tried every single jewelry bag I have and still not working. Hopefully today's patch will make everything all better?

Looking forward to a better jewelry day.

Meindkandy
          65 Chanter
          "Diamonds are a girls best friend". However Blue Diamonds are even better!!

Comment

I know all of them will cut with the Round Cutting Tool, not certain about other shapes. To change the tool into something else you stick it into jewelry bag and hit combine, over and over until the one you want appears.

I'd assume that if a stone can ONLY be cut one way (or certain ways) then an attempt to use the wrong tool would result in a "cannot combine in this container type" message.

Comment

Originally posted by widowb View Post
              (sigh) Although Kyro says I should be able to cut any of the listed vendor sold gems, like jade, pearl, bloodstone, etc etc. None of them are working for me. Say I can't combine in this container, (paraphrased). I have tried every single jewelry bag I have and still not working. Hopefully today's patch will make everything all better?

Looking forward to a better jewelry day.
              What exactly are you putting into the JC bag? Cutting these vendor sold gems should not matter what container you are using, but just to be thorough, what bag did you use.

Are you using the Jeweler's Eye Glass? If so that could be the issue, some of the lower quality gems do not need it. Also, as Kemie posted, make sure you have the correct shaped tool.
              Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
              Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

Those store bought gems can only be cut in the ways listed on the spreadsheet. So pretty much round cut for the cheap ones, and then as you get into the 5-10pp range a single other type of cut. AFAIK only the drop gems have a choice of cuts, again, refer to the sheet.

Bobaten, that's about what I remember, thanks for the details.
                I call for the elimination of EQ levels 1-50.

Comment

Not all dropped gem can be cut multiple ways, the uncut line of gems are only combineable with 1 cut tool.

Prestiditaise, harmongate, staurolite, and taaffeite are probably the only gems that can be cut more than 1 way.

Grolyn Blacknife
                  Beastlord
                   T:7
                   M:0
                   T:6
                   M:1
                  Fletching:
                   M:2
                  Zira Blacknife
                  Shaman
                  Maelin Starpyre
                  Vazaelle
                  Reiseraa
                  Necro
                  Research:

Comment

Aldier, you're my hero of the day!!

That was my problem. I was putting the jeweler's glass in with all the gems. the older ones don't need it.

Thank ALL who offered suggestions for the problem. It's fixed.

Meindkandy
                    65 Chanter
                    (now a HAPPY chanter again)

Comment

Originally posted by gandalf79 View Post
                      I have done roughly 200 combines of various new jc combinds (e.g. dwerium trio earrings, rings, veils, pendants, bracers, cut nihilites, cut new gems). The majority of the combines were above my skill (273 unmodified), but I have yet to get a single skillup. I know the RNG hates me, but I did about 100 platinum diamond and blue diamonds just the other day and got 6 skill ups.

Has anyone gotten at least one skillup with these combines?
                      800+ combines from 272 to 289 with new JC items... Nihiltes, Harmons, Taaffys, Dweriums..... toss in Rubes... and MOST of mine came from Diamonds and Blue Diamonds to lvl 289 where I hang.

I can't remember where i saw it, but someone posted that 40K from 270-300 is easy. Sadly, 200K+ spent vendor diving for gems... Ima still 289. I wont pay 500pp for a BD ever.

RNG hates me more! lmao

Maybe i should face EAST next couple combines I try????

Edit to add I have JC Expert trophy in slot every combine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gini View Post
                        I can't remember where i saw it, but someone posted that 40K from 270-300 is easy.
                        If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Not saying you cannot do it on the cheap, it is possible, but mostly from farming and foraging the items you need.

You have the right idea and with making Taaffeite and Harmonagate with Dwerium, you should be easily making back what you are spending.

Gorse

Comment

going back to the original post.....yay i see light at the end of the tunnel.My raw skill finally moved and "caught up" with the trophy.I would really like to say a big thank u to all of u guys for keeping me sane during this hard time..Boy i was worried it would never move.I have 10% left on the trophy til its maxxed!

Sparkthefire

Comment

Working...
                          X