X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 2 different recipes:

Loaded Taters:

4 good size baking potatoes
    1 lb ground hamburger (or ground turkey, if you prefer)
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 medium size can chopped black olives
    1 bell pepper (color doesn't matter), diced
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    1 regular onion or 2 to 4 green onions, chopped or diced

Possible toppings, if desired:

Sour cream
    Shredded cheddar cheese

Wash the baking potatoes and either cook them in the oven or the microwave (I cook them in the microwave by puncturing each potato three times with a fork, cooking it on high for 10 minutes, then checking and cooking for another 5 to 10 minutes)

Cook the ground hamburger or turkey in a skillet, then add all of the ingredients (except the potatoes, of course) and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 5 minutes before reducing to a simmer until the potatoes are done (or at least 10 minutes if you've already cooked the potatoes).

Cut the potatoes down the middle, but not completely in half, and add the hamburger mixture. Top with sour cream and\or shredded cheddar cheese if you want.

Quick Chili:

1 1/2 lbs of ground hamburger or turkey (optional, if you're a vegetarian)
    2 cans light red or pink kidney beans (they're the same thing - depends on what brand you buy)
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes with onions
    1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
    2 packets of your favorite brand of chili seasoning (I prefer McCormick's, and I like the regular, but use mild, as although I have a cast iron stomach, the other people I fix this for do not)
    crushed red pepper to taste (optional - I recommend using hot chili seasoning instead if you want heat)

Cook the meat (again, unless you're a vegetarian).

Combine all of the ingredients (including the meat if you used it) into a large soup or chili pot, adding the chili seasoning last. AND DON'T DRAIN THE LIQUID FROM THE CANS OF BEANS - PUT IT IN, TOO! Bring to a boil and let it boil for a few minutes (no more than 5) before reducing to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, then put into bowls and allow it to cool a bit for a few minutes if necessary before eating. Should serve about 4 people, but could probably be stretched to serve 5 or 6.

Incidentally, I like to serve this with a green onion on the side, as it nicely compliments the dish. Cornbread is also a good choice.

Comment

Cayenne Pretzels

Love to make a batch of these and have them around while playing EQ!

2 bags pretzel sticks (10 ounces to 14 ounces each bag)
      1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix
      1 cup vegetable oil
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how much heat you want)

Put the pretzels in a big bowl. In a big measuring cup or a smaller bowl, whisk the other ingredients together. Pour over the pretzels. Stir pretzels until coated.

Divide the pretzels onto two cookie sheets (preferably ones with a side so the oil doesn't drip around...if you don't have sheets with sides, line the cookie sheet with foil and make a side with the foil.). Bake for 1 hour until crisp at 250 degrees.

Enjoy!!

Comment

One hour to raid soup

I love food but since I started playing EQ I have a few extra pounds to shed. This is the only recipe I've managed to cobble together that is quick, substantial enough to call a meal, is low fat, and most importantly has fantastic taste. Oh, and there's not much cleanup either.

Ingredients:

1 cup brown rice
        1 can chicken broth
        1 can precooked chicken (undrained) (its right next to the tunafish in the supermarket)
        1/4 teaspoon rosemary

Prepare the rice according to directions (I use a $30 rice cooker), combine all ingredients in a pot, heat to boiling, serve.
        --Nilokos

Comment

Ok, I'm a garlic and onion lover:

1 - Roast of any sort, preferrably a good one for smoking, but any will do
          2 - Heads of garlic
          1 - Big yellow onion
          Some spices and red pepper
          3 bottles Miller High Life

Slice raw meat about 1/4-1/2 in thick slices. Grind up garlic and spread layer on meat.
          Slice or dice or disentigrate onions and spread a good amount over garlic
          Cover with as much pepper/salt/spice as you want.
          Roll it up, and take smoe toothpicks intothe ends and center to hold it together.
          Have smoker fired up, pour beers into pan with hickory chips and water.
          Smoke em till good and roasted. Take out and enjoy in hotdog bun

Silound
          Minstrel of Prexus

Comment

Salmon corn chowder

Salmon Corn Chowder

* 2 10 3/4-ounce cans con- densed cream of potato soup
            * 12-ounce can evaporated milk (we used fat-free)
            * 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, undrained
            * 14-ounce can salmon, drained and broken into chunks (we used sock- eye)
            * 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Combine soup, milk and corn. Mix gently over medium heat. Stir in salmon (a piece of fresh salmon could also be used) and cheese. Heat until soup is hot and cheese is melted. Makes 8 cups.

Comment

Oregon Big Cheese Muffins

* 1 cup white or unbleached all-purpose flour
              * 1 cup whole wheat flour
              * 2 teaspoons baking powder
              * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
              * 1/2 teaspoon salt
              * 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
              * 1 1/2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese
              * 1/2 cup milk
              * 1 egg, beaten
              * 1 cup plain yogurt
              * 3 tablespoons butter, melted

Butter 12 muffin pan cups ( 1/3 cup capacity each) or 48 miniatures (2 tablespoons capacity each), making sure to butter around top of each.

In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add 1 cup of the cheese.

In a small bowl combine yogurt, milk, egg and butter. Mix well. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.

Spoon into prepared pans, then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake in a 375-degree oven until tops are golden, 20 to 25 minutes for large muffins, or 12 minutes for miniatures. Carefully remove from pans.

Comment

My favorite EQ snack

I find myself munching all the time while playing but I have settled on a favorite that I would like to share with my fellow gamers.
                My favorite snack for gaming is Deer Jerky and this is how it can be made.
                Fresh Deer meat (Beef can be used too) sliced 1/4 inch thick is soaked in marinade for about an hour.My personal favorite is Dale's Marinade,but I have used Allegro also,both produce fine results.Any kind of dark marinade will work if those are not available.
                I then lay the slices out flat not touching in my dehydrator,set for 150 deg and let run for 8 hours.
                If you don't have the luxury of a dehydrator you can also make it in the oven.Place a large cookie sheet on the lowest rack to catch the marinade drippings,don't want to make a big mess :-) then hang the slices of meat on the upper rack not touching each other,turn the oven to 150 deg and prop the oven door open about an inch or two to let the moisture escape.
                Let set 4 to 8 hours depending on oven and relative humidity and walla,a tasty treat for hours of gaming enjoyment.
                Jerky will be done when dry in appearance and whitish strands appear when pulled apart.This is a very basic recipe and some trial and error is involved,but if you like jerky as much as I do,once you get things fine tuned you will be in jerky heaven.BTW,making your own jerky costs about a 10th of what it would if you were to buy it in a store.

Comment

For the Apprentice Real Life Chef...

The best grilled cheese sandwiches ever.

Instead of just boring white bread with american cheese, try one of these:

Whole Grain Bread
                  American Cheese
                  a thin slice of Red Delicious Apple

or

White Bread (I usually use something my store sells in the bakery called Bread for Toasting)
                  Danish Havarti Cheese
                  a thin slice of ripe, red tomato

I let my butter set out until soft. I warm a pan over low heat for about five to ten minutes (this is the secret to cooking the perfect grilled cheese -- preheating the pan). I turn the heat up to medium, butter one side of a piece of bread, and set it in the pan butter side down. I lay down a slice of cheese, the thin slice of apple or tomato, and then another slice of cheese. I butter the other piece of bread and top the sandwich with it butter side up. Once the bottom slice of cheese melts nicely I flip the sandwich with a spatula. Then I wait about as long and remove the sandwich from the pan and onto a plate. I cut it in half and usually eat it with chicken soup.

I wish I knew to whom these recipes belong... my mother told me about them and they were wonderful. Enjoy

Comment

Chocolate Sandwich Recipe (snack)

Chocolate Sandwich

Ingredients:

2 slices of Bread (usually a mild bread, like white, buttermilk, potato, etc)

Margarine or butter

1 Chocolate option:
                    *Mini Chocolate chips
                    *Hot chocolate powder
                    *Cocoa powder
                    *Chocolate syrup

Assembly:

Spread a little Margarine (or butter) on each slice of [toasted] bread.

Sprinkle a little of your chocolate option on *one* slice. (I find that about a teaspoon works well for chips, and just under half a teaspoon is about right for either powder; feel free to experiment and discover your own preference).

Lay second slice of bread (butter side down) on top of slice with butter/margarine and chocolate.

Warm in microwave just till the butter / margarine begins to melt: usually around 10-20 seconds. (This makes the chocolate soft, so it stays in the sandwich.)

Enjoy!

Comment

this is a recipie I have used several times and it has been a hit.

also it gets lots of laughs.

you will need
                      1 whole chicken
                      lots of beer
                      a lot of salt
                      a bit of sugar
                      some pepper

1. brine the chicken
                      --put a lot of salt (1/3 of a cup or so) into the bottom of a large bowl
                      --add a bit of sugar (a teaspoon maybe)
                      --crack some fresh black pepper in there next (to taste here, I like lots)
                      --add 1 can of beer and mix (dont drink this, its gross)
                      --place the chicken in there and cover the rest of the way with more beer (leave 1 can about half full and reserve this)(no reserve does not mean drink it)
                      --leave it alone for about 2 hours

2. the bar be que
                      --place the reserved can of beer into the south side of a north bound chicken
                      --place on grill with indirect (or for my gass grill the low setting) heat for a long time
                      --check the temprature with a meat thermometer in the breast, when it says about 170 degrees fairenhite remove from heat and take the can out of the bird, then allow it to rest

3. eat
                      the brine and the slow reast on indirect heat with the steam creates a wonderful juicy chicken. It is very forgiving to the newb bbqer. Just watch it while it is on the grill, fires can start and you need to be aware so you can put em out. more beer would be fun, but water is safer.

Don, likes bbq
                      [link=www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=610077&resize=true newwindow]n00b 634r[/link]

[image noborder]http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~artaylor/artaylor/images/donabysig.gif[/image]

Comment

Recipes

Some of my favorites, I'm really into doing desserts, so that's what you'll get most out of me...

HERMITS
                        ingredients:
                        -2/3 cup butter, softened
                        -1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
                        -2 eggs
                        -2 tablespoons milk
                        -2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
                        -1/4 teaspoon salt
                        -1 teaspoon cinnamon
                        -1 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
                        -1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
                        -1 teaspoon baking soda
                        -1 cup raisins
                        -1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

oven temp: 325

DIRECTIONS:
                        *Cream the butter with the brown sugar. For those of you who don't know what this means, combine the softened butter (not melted, softened) with the brown sugar in a large bowl and beat on low speed until the mixture is well combined and has a cream-like consistency.
                        *Add the 2 eggs and the 2 tbsp milk to the creamed mixture. Beat on low speed just until well combined. Set mixture aside.
                        *Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and baking soda. This is a tricky step, it can be what makes or breaks your cookies. What I do is sift it all at once, and I sift it at least 3 times. This ensures that all the powdered ingredients are well combined and evenly distributed.
                        *Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until all of it is combined into a dough. Add the raisins and the nuts (optional). Stir until combined.
                        *Place rounded teaspoons of the dough onto a greased cookie sheet OR a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and bake for 10-15 minutes at 325 degrees or until cookies are golden brown. Cool for 1 minute and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. The reason I suggest wax paper here is that you can have your next batch ready to bake on a separate sheet of wax paper and then just cool your first batch on the wax paper and then transfer your second batch onto the cookie sheet and bake it while your first batch is cooling.

Yield: a LOT (usually about 5-6 dozen)

-------------------

CHOCOLATE DEATH BROWNIES
                        ingredients:
                        -1 cup butter
                        -4 squares unsweetened chocolate
                        -2 cups sugar
                        -1 teaspoon baking powder
                        -1 cup white chocolate chips
                        -2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
                        -4 eggs
                        -2 teaspoons vanilla
                        -1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
                        -1 teaspoon salt
                        -1 cup heavy whipping cream
                        -1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped, toasted pecans

oven temp: 350

DIRECTIONS:
                        *Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan with butter (not the 1 cup butter mentioned in the ingredients).
                        *Melt the 1 cup butter in a large saucepan. Turn heat to low.
                        *Over low heat, add the unsweetened chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from heat and mix in sugar.
                        *Add eggs and vanilla, stir until incorporated.
                        *Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir just until flour is mixed in.
                        *GENTLY stir in white chocolate.
                        *Spread mixture in greased baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until brownies JUST pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from oven and cool
                        For ganache:
                        *Bring heavy cream to a boil over low heat. Remove from heat and add semi-sweet chocolate chips. Let the cream sit to melt the chocolate, stirring until chocolate is melted.
                        *Let mixture cool and thicken, stirring occasionally (approximately 20-30 minutes).
                        *Spread over cooled brownies.

*Press the chopped, toasted pecans into the ganache. Let ganache harden. Cut into squares, then cut the squares diagonally into triangles and serve.

---------------

Two of my most highly prized recipes, great for snacking while you're playing EQ.
                        Last edited by PetrosDaroc; 10-30-2003, 01:38 PM.
                        [65 Storm Warden] Elder Petros Daroc (Wood Elf)
                        Fate's Forge - E'ci
                        "Just call me Farmer Bob..."

Comment

http://www.hercountrykitchen.com/hol...littercake.htm

Comment

EWW Ceno!
                            Ilona - Gwenae - Amarantha - Deandra - Minim

Comment

chocolate peanut butter pie

1 grahmcracker cookie crust. vendor sold
                              1 box instant vanillia or banana pudding. vendor sold
                              1 good scoop of creamy peanut butter on bowl. scoop yourself
                              powerdered sugar. sugar in mortar and pestle or vendor
                              whip cream. normally make your own found some while vendor mining.
                              chocolate suryp. vendor sold

mix putting as directed and let get about half way to firm. judgement call. little soogy to dump straight and little harder to smooth if it really sets up. no problems if it sets up all the way though.

mix in bowl peanut butter and powerdered sugar until you get a bunch of sugar coated peanut butter crumbles. i used fingers in the end.

line bottom of cookie crust with peanut butter crumbles, poor in pudding. add whip cream to top. sprinkle more peanut butter crumbles and chocolate suryp on top. put back in fridge to finish firming up.

warning contains peanut butter duh. you dont need many crumbles to get the peanut butter taste you want so dont need to overkill this.

god this stuff is good.

Maker of Picnics.
                              Cooker of things best left unidentified.
                              "Grimrose points to the sky. Look! Up in the sky, it's a bird, no, a plane, no it's Picnic-Man. It's Emiamn, a mild mannered tradeskiller by day but daring handsome crime fighter at night. Spreading peace and joy to norrath with his mighty Picnics!"

Comment

Don't think I saw anything like this one so far. It's one of my favorites, learned it from my step mom, not sure where she got it from.

Peanut Butter Buckeyes:
                                1 pound powdered sugar
                                12 oz jar of peanut butter (1 1/2 cups)
                                2/3 cup melted butter

Melt butter, and add in sugar while it's still warm. Stir in peanut butter.
                                Mix and roll into balls, put them on waxed paper and let stand in fridge 1 hour or more.

In double boiler melt

12 oz. bag of chocolate chips
                                1/4 of a stick of parafin wax.

Put toothpicks in balls and dip in chocolate. Let stand on wax paper or buttered plate
                                in fridge one hour to cool.
                                Diania Moonspirit
                                lvl 66 druidess
                                The Disciples of Might, Bristlebane
                                Grandmaster Brewer - 300 w/ Master Trophy 3% evolved
                                Grandmaster Baker - 300 w/ Rolling Pin

Comment

Working...
                                X