No announcement yet.

Progression server - what can you make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get the impression that the tutorial will be there, from what they've said so far. I'll take back what I said about that (in terms of equipment). I've never been through the tutorial or done the newbie armor quests and I guess I was under the impression that that stuff was better than it is.

Tutorial or no, 1 to 10 is pretty easy now, especially with spawning with all your equipment. I don't see the tutorial making that big a difference. One thing about the tutorial though - if I'm not mistaken, the only exit is to PoK. They're clearly going to have to change something - maybe eliminating it will be the easier step. A better choice, in my opinion.

I also don't think they're going to encourage truly brand new players to start on this server. This is going to be HARD. I think even those of us who remember it are going to find ourselves surprised by how hard it is going to be. Especially the first time we leave a corpse in NK or SK and we're bound in Freeport.

Comment

The exit from tutorial takes you to your chosen home city.

Maddoc, please go to Graffe's also to talk about the non-tradeskill comments people are making about this server (remove that word if its not allowed here). I've seen some pretty good ideas so far, and I'd really like to hear some of your thoughts about them.

Comment

yes, I too am very interesed about this server, but my questions are more non-tradeskill related.

Specifically Berserkers and Frogloks, since i would like to make either a Zerk or an evil frog. Never did it because they were added too late in the game to be worth 'catching up' as low level groups are few and far between these days. this would give a good chance to do either.

To add some tradeskill content to this post, one of my fondest early EQ memories was selling spiderling and spider silk to a talking wolf I met in Misty. The game had been out a bit (it was about when the newbie armor quests first went in) but low level game was still flourishing. The wolf gave me what i found out later to be a very fair deal and I had a nice amount of plat, and a tailor made whip that made me look like a halfling indiana jones.

Not sure how much tradeskilling Ill do. will probably just pick one and stick with it, just to much work for me to take em all on on a non existent budget...

Comment

You people need to chill. This is not a "classic server". This is a progression server. It is simply a new way to play and enjoy the game, and all this trash talk about "ruining" the experience is absolutely ridiculous. The only thing different about this server from a regular server is:

1. Content has to be "earned" by beating key events to open the content to the server

2. *Potentially* a couple of zones that have been revamped and may cause problems will be reverted, that does not mean nek or freeport, runnyeye, etc.

3. You can't transfer in or out (from the start as opposed to the 6 month delay on that ability on new servers that they always had except in special cases like the euro servers)

Yes, the game will be easier and go faster. The only real difference between this server and SoE just making a new server is that people will have to progress through content generally in the order they were originally beaten as opposed to skipping 80% of the content by taking advantage of the easy to get gear off exp mobs that let people gear up far beyond what earlier raid content allowed for the most part.

If you can't have any fun with this, then don't play on it. I'm just sick and tired of all the people that are acting personally affronted at the "audacity" of SoE leaving in changes that were put into the game that happen to affect gear, skills, etc in the older content.

So guess what, they aren't going to double their item database by reverting items on the old server, they aren't going to revert spells to their original effects and level staggering, they aren't going to revert old skill caps back to their original caps for particular classes, they aren't going to completely alter exp needed per level to put in hell levels, they aren't going to disallow classes and races that didn't exist, they aren't going to reintroduce mana penalty for hybrids, remove offensive hybrid spell haste, and retro increase the cost of spells for hybrids. They aren't going to put in class exp penalties. Etc etc etc etc etc. Deal with it.

This may be a primal scream, but I am seriously getting peeved by the people trashing this server based on the fact that it won't be a "classic" server (which they never said it was and in fact said specificially that it was NOT).

Comment

This may be of interest:

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/...2426&jump=true

From the Great Ngreth:

This is as far as I know. Not all plans have been finalized so this *may* change. Also, I could be flat wrong in some cases But in many cases, I do not expect them to change from a feasibility standpoint. Maddoc can correct me if I am wrong.

Basically there will not be anything special for tradeskills, except the AA's

Cap will be 300, but without AA's only one will be able to exceed 200.

All recipes that exist will be available, but for many you will not be able to gather the parts until the appropriate expansion is available. The recipes data does not have an "era" flag. So there is not a good way to say "you can only do these because you only have X expansion open"

In a similar fashion, all trivials will be the same. This does mean that due to the availability of components, not all skills will be able to get to 300, nor will all races be able to get skill levels to an equal degree (like in the "classic way"). As above, there is just not a feasible way to adjust trivials for just this server. The old data in many cases is just not available, and in the end, having multiple data sets like that would be is very problematic.

The New UI will be available from the get go.

The merchants will have their current merchant inventories as they are.

The AA's will be available as the expansions are opened.

On a side note. From what I have heard, the re-vamped zones will be as they are right now. So the new freeport, Ro Desert, Nektulos(v3), and lavastorm (and any other revamped zone I did not mention) will be the revamped versions

Comment

I agree with Abaz, If you dont like it, dont play it. I for one, would be happy to see a whinger free server, so just stay away, this server is not for you.
              Lone Ranger
              Master Artisan Buns Pincher of Povar

Comment

Originally posted by Abazagaroth
                You people need to chill. This is not a "classic server". This is a progression server. It is simply a new way to play and enjoy the game, and all this trash talk about "ruining" the experience is absolutely ridiculous. The only thing different about this server from a regular server is:

1. Content has to be "earned" by beating key events to open the content to the server

2. *Potentially* a couple of zones that have been revamped and may cause problems will be reverted, that does not mean nek or freeport, runnyeye, etc.

3. You can't transfer in or out (from the start as opposed to the 6 month delay on that ability on new servers that they always had except in special cases like the euro servers)

Yes, the game will be easier and go faster. The only real difference between this server and SoE just making a new server is that people will have to progress through content generally in the order they were originally beaten as opposed to skipping 80% of the content by taking advantage of the easy to get gear off exp mobs that let people gear up far beyond what earlier raid content allowed for the most part.

If you can't have any fun with this, then don't play on it. I'm just sick and tired of all the people that are acting personally affronted at the "audacity" of SoE leaving in changes that were put into the game that happen to affect gear, skills, etc in the older content.

So guess what, they aren't going to double their item database by reverting items on the old server, they aren't going to revert spells to their original effects and level staggering, they aren't going to revert old skill caps back to their original caps for particular classes, they aren't going to completely alter exp needed per level to put in hell levels, they aren't going to disallow classes and races that didn't exist, they aren't going to reintroduce mana penalty for hybrids, remove offensive hybrid spell haste, and retro increase the cost of spells for hybrids. They aren't going to put in class exp penalties. Etc etc etc etc etc. Deal with it.

This may be a primal scream, but I am seriously getting peeved by the people trashing this server based on the fact that it won't be a "classic" server (which they never said it was and in fact said specificially that it was NOT).
                Ummm.. who are you replying to? I did a search for 'ruin', which you quoted, and the only place it appears on this thread is in.... your post. I did a search for 'classic' and the only place it appears outside your post is a reference to 'classic bd cultural' and the 'classic way' of doing things. Nobody has used the phrase 'classic server' on this thread, except you.

I don't see a lot of complaints here (maybe one post); just worthwhile discussion on how it will be different, and questions for Maddoc so we can plan accordingly. I'm excited about the server and I think a lot of other people here are also.

Comment

Blue diamond cultural also requires Velium, thus the requirement of Coldain Temper. Without Velious opened up there can be no Blue Diamond cultural.
                  This is not true. As far as I can tell, all the smithed bd cultural does in fact require velium at some point. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I checked a bunch of the recipes quickly.

However, most of the tailored stuff does not. Here are a few examples of BD cultural armor that do not require anything unavailable pre-Kunark.

http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=035000000000
                  http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=080040120060
                  http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=080040050040

Some of these items can be worn by plate classes as well. Erudite bd cultural is all tailored, even the platemail (don't ask me why...)

This stuff has to be disabled on the progression server, as it is horribly unbalancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Boradek
                    This is not true. As far as I can tell, all the smithed bd cultural does in fact require velium at some point. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I checked a bunch of the recipes quickly.

However, most of the tailored stuff does not. Here are a few examples of BD cultural armor that do not require anything unavailable pre-Kunark.

http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=035000000000
                    http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=080040120060
                    http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=080040050040

Some of these items can be worn by plate classes as well. Erudite bd cultural is all tailored, even the platemail (don't ask me why...)

This stuff has to be disabled on the progression server, as it is horribly unbalancing.
                    I think you're right about the rigid steelweave, but the latter two recipes require Sabretooth hides and Brute hides respectively - only available in Kunark. But, even at that point they would be ahead of the curve.

One other thing I thought about - are Veteran Rewards tied to any expansion? If not, infusion of the faithful has big implications, both for raid encounters AND for tradeskills.
                    Last edited by Xenephex; 04-11-2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I think what we can mostly accomplish here is to let Maddoc and Ngreth know about any possible anomalous recipes (as Boradek just did) and then let them decide what to do. I'll be happy about the server however it turns out, but Maddoc did say 'some recipes may need to be disabled', so I'm assuming that means he doesn't want to include anything that would be way overpowering for the various expansions.

The main site says you don't need DoN for some of the DoN cultural armors - I'm taking that to mean that you don't need to own the expansion to get the quests.

If that's the case, then a lot of races (haven't checked them all) can make at least Expert level armor with only stuff that is available in the original expansion, and many can make Master's level stuff (though you won't be able to wear it until Kunark with the level 55 requirement). Some races can do the master's augment quests with Kunark; most can not. Of course GM armor and augments are a non-issue until the DoN expansion is actually introduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenephex
                        The main site says you don't need DoN for some of the DoN cultural armors - I'm taking that to mean that you don't need to own the expansion to get the quests.

If that's the case, then a lot of races (haven't checked them all) can make at least Expert level armor with only stuff that is available in the original expansion, and many can make Master's level stuff (though you won't be able to wear it until Kunark with the level 55 requirement). Some races can do the master's augment quests with Kunark; most can not. Of course GM armor and augments are a non-issue until the DoN expansion is actually introduced.
                        I'd have to double check this, but I believe that Luclin is the first "era" which drops the component for the Master armor. Some select few might be able to get them far earlier, but for the bulk drops are in Luclin, PoP, or later. Yttrium, for example, or Shissar Scales, common to many Master level tailoring and smithing recipes, are Luclin only, and Storm Volaas Hair is a PoP drop.

Expert, however, would be rather, well, easy to do once you hit the right level for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Astroshak
                          I'd have to double check this, but I believe that Luclin is the first "era" which drops the component for the Master armor. Some select few might be able to get them far earlier, but for the bulk drops are in Luclin, PoP, or later. Yttrium, for example, or Shissar Scales, common to many Master level tailoring and smithing recipes, are Luclin only, and Storm Volaas Hair is a PoP drop.

Expert, however, would be rather, well, easy to do once you hit the right level for it.
                          Actually it's a really mixed bag. Pile of Gravel is the master level component for Dwarven plate (and a couple of others) and drops in the Hole, so could be made with the old world only. There are some others which require only Kunark zones for their master combines.

Some races would be in the odd position of being able to do their master level armors a couple of expansions before they could do their experts (human's and ogres, for example). I know dark elves can't make their experts till Luclin and can't make their masters till PoP. There are a few others who require PoP or later expansions as well.

Some people can do their quests for master's symbols as early as Kunark, but nobody is going to be making any master's symbols until Luclin opens up (shissar scales).

Comment

i still belive that the DoN racial cultural armor will cause problems. the best and easiest way to prevent this, is not to disable the recipies (time consumeing and a royal pain in the butt) BUT to disable the NPC that gives the QUEST for the books, the ability to disable a dozen npc's is well with in the ability of the programers to do. With out the books there can be no molds / patterns ect. Thus we are left with the "old" cultural which i dont see as being a problem due to the difficulty (and by rough accts of discussions ) the competition.

Comment

Just a real quick review from what I can see only two races will be screwed in regards to if they keep DoN armor available initially. Everyone can do their ancestral books with ease.

Barbarian
                              Journeyman-Doable (Everfrost)
                              Expert-Undoable (Kunark Era required)
                              Master-Undoable (Luclin Era required)
                              GM-Undoable (Undoable DoN Era required)

Dark Elf
                              Journeyman-Doable (Najena)
                              Expert-Doable (Sol A)
                              Master-Undoable (Kunark Era required)

Half Elf
                              Journeyman-Doable (Erud's Crossing)
                              Expert-Doable (Kedge)
                              Master-Undoable (Velious Era required)

Ogre
                              Journeyman-Doable (Swamp)
                              Expert-Doable (Rathe Mountains)

Halflings
                              Journeyman-Doable (Maze)
                              Expert-Doable (The Hole)

Troll
                              Journeyman-Doable (HHP)
                              Expert-Doable (LGuk)

Human
                              Journeyman-Doable (Befallen)
                              Expert-Doable (The Hole)

Erudite
                              Journeyman-Doable (Kerra Isle)
                              Expert-Doable (Stonebrunt)

Gnome
                              Journeyman-Doable (Crushbone)
                              Expert-Doable (The Hole)

Wood Elf
                              Journeyman-Doable (Crushbone)
                              Expert-Undoable (Kunark Era required)

Dwarf
                              Journeyman-Doable (Unrest)
                              Expert-Doable (Kedge Keep)

High Elf
                              Journeyman-Doable (OOT)
                              Expert-Doable (LGuK)

This is purely for acquiring the different level of books, beyond that if certain supplies are needed to make the actual items I have not researched fully yet.

Balamur

Comment

Halfling expert plate is makable.

36 ac
                                6-9 to most stats, 4-6 to resists, 40 hp/mana, required lvl 35.

Compare to valorium bp from fear
                                AC: 30
                                STR: +13 STA: +9 WIS: +9

Heh. Yeah, gotta nix the quest guys. Although, will they talk to you if you don't have the expansion? If not, and thats the way they implement (its as if expansion not activated on account), then no worries.
                                Rasper Helpdesk

Atlane's Appendix

Comment

Working...
                                X